os x El Capitan wont download on macbook pro

Thompsonnn

Prominent
Mar 1, 2017
I purchased my macbook pro mid 2009 used and ive recently wiped the os and wanted to reinstall it but every time I try it says that the item is temporarily unavailable. it was running os x yosemite before but it forces me to download el capitan now.

Solution
Yep, Any mac that has access to the apple store. download it and put it on a flash drive. I think there is always a way to make a start up disk in the system menu also, but It has been a long time since I've done that and I don't know the steps anymore.

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
This is normal. El capitan came with the Laptop so you have to download that first. Than sign in with a Apple ID and download the newest OS from the Apple store. You could download the ISO of Yosemite on another Mac and install it with a flash drive instead. OSX is free for all mac hardware so nothing is illegal about downloading it.

Seems stupid Apple would do this, but that how the recovery system is setup to allow for maximum compatibility.

In 2009 the MacBook would have come with either Leopard or Snow Leopard but not El Capitan. It is El Capitan that is "temporarily unavailable" and won't install, correct? It seems as though you are not alone in having this problem. Did you MacBook come with any install discs? If yes, have tried using those first and then upgrading (updating) via the App store?

About macOS Recovery

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Your kinda SOL without a mac to download the newest ISO from the Apple Store. Only Macs can download the ISO which is kinda dumb since without a hack they can only install on mac hardware only so Apple shouldn't be worried.

iamacow

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Yep, Any mac that has access to the apple store. download it and put it on a flash drive. I think there is always a way to make a start up disk in the system menu also, but It has been a long time since I've done that and I don't know the steps anymore.

Solution