Solved! Out of memory.....but doesn't add up (not even close)

Feb 16, 2019
So, my android has 16gb of internal memory. No matter what I do, I can't get it below 15.5gb of used memory. Yet, when I look at what's on it, it's only taking up far less than 1/2 of that. I look at the pictures (there are a few on internal rather than the SD)....plus all apps......plus everything else that's visible anyway, it comes to about 6 gigs. Is this some bee ess cell phone scam like Apple got caught doing where you're basically forced to buy a new phone? Right now, 2+2=15.5. WTF???

Any tips on how to make this phone usable?

Solution
Remember that not just apps and files you install take up space. Every update adds more, plus all the things you keep on it.

Text messages, messenger messages, facebook info, sites you visit, etc. All of these add things to the device that take up more and more space.

You could try a full "Hard Reset", which will take the phone back to its original state when you got it, just make sure you back up anything on the phone you want to keep first. To either a google account (and verify it is there) or to a computer. However, you can't back up apps. Those you would have to redownload and install after the reset is done.
You are only looking at what you have access to.

While the phone is advertised as having 16GB, and should actually have that much space (well when going the way they calculate it at least, don't get me started) it never had that much available to you. Not even close.

That 16GB is what it has total, not what was available. Most of it will be taken up by the OS and the preinstalled apps. So even when you first bought it, you didn't have that much space and you never had access to the whole 16GB.

You can free up some space by removing apps you don't use (if they are removable). If not removable, then you can try uninstalling any updates to those apps and then disable the app. However, that will only free up a little space.

In the end, the only way you are going to get extra space is to add a SD card to the device (if it allows for one) and move things like files, music, videos, etc., over to the card. This is for files only though, not apps.

Feb 16, 2019
You are only looking at what you have access to.

While the phone is advertised as having 16GB, and should actually have that much space (well when going the way they calculate it at least, don't get me started) it never had that much available to you. Not even close.

That 16GB is what it has total, not what was available. Most of it will be taken up by the OS and the preinstalled apps. So even when you first bought it, you didn't have that much space and you never had access to the whole 16GB.

You can free up some space by removing apps you don't use (if they are removable). If not removable, then you can try uninstalling any updates to those apps and then disable the app. However, that will only free up a little space.

In the end, the only way you are going to get extra space is to add a SD card to the device (if it allows for one) and move things like files, music, videos, etc., over to the card. This is for files only though, not apps.

Thanks. Yes, I have a 32GB SD installed, and have moved EVERYTHING possible to it. Still, only 1/2 of a GB "free". When the phone was new, and even more apps installed, I had like 10-12 gigs free. Over time......nothing, no matter what I do. I clear cache....it doesn't matter. I'd almost bet my life this is a cell phone scam......forcing us to buy new phones. If I delete EVERYTHING....how is it still full? If this can be proved, like was done to Apple, I honestly believe top execs should be arrested and put in jail for decades. This is stealing as much or more than Madoff did.

Remember that not just apps and files you install take up space. Every update adds more, plus all the things you keep on it.

Text messages, messenger messages, facebook info, sites you visit, etc. All of these add things to the device that take up more and more space.

You could try a full "Hard Reset", which will take the phone back to its original state when you got it, just make sure you back up anything on the phone you want to keep first. To either a google account (and verify it is there) or to a computer. However, you can't back up apps. Those you would have to redownload and install after the reset is done.

Solution