Outlook Express loads very slowly

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
I have a new / clean XP Pro installation. When I open Outlook Express it seems to take a very long time to load up. The initial "loading" screen comes up immediately but it takes about 30 seconds before it disappears and the program loads. Once loaded, everything seems quite normal. I have a P4 1.8, 512MB DDR, 2x60GB HDDs in RAID1.

Cheers,
JasonR

*** Most PC problems can be fixed by using a bigger hammer ***

camieabz

Distinguished
Jan 29, 2001
It may be an internet connection issue. Are you connected yet? Is the "Login to MSN passport" enabled? Do you have such a passport?

<b><font color=blue>~ Gotta question? Tried searching the boards first? Good! Ask away! ~<font color=blue></b> :wink:

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
<<< Is the "Login to MSN passport" enabled? Do you have such a passport? >>>

Not sure what this is exactly, other than a MS portal maybe ? I do have connectivity (cable) and everything seems to function quite well. Outlook Express works just fine, but it just takes a VERY long time to load intially.

I tried inserting the XP setup disk to "Repair" OE but that function is not available anymore (Pro version anyway). I did see something burried in the MS knowledge base somewhere about an alternate method for doing this. I'll try it out and see what happens. I'd still like an explanation if anyone has one.

Cheers,
JasonR

JasonR

Distinguished
Jul 21, 2002
Okay, problem sovled. For those who are interested, here's the solution:

1. While logged on as administrator, open the registry editor ("Start" -> "Run" -> "regedit.exe" -> "OK").

2. Locate the registry subkey:
HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Active Setup\Installed Components\{44BBA840-CC51-11CF-AAFA-00AA00B6015C}

3. Right-click the "IsInstalled (REG_DWORD)" value and modify the value data entry from 1 to 0.

4. Click "Okay" and close the registry editor.

5. Download and install IE6 from http://www.microsoft.com/windows/ie/default.asp

6. Run the installation (you may need to reboot first).

7. If prompted to "Clean Up Your Personal Settings" select "No".

8. Open a cold one and relax - you're done.

As I said earlier, I'd still appreciate hearing from anyone who might know what was the cause of this issue. Just curious, that's all :)

Cheers,
JasonR