Outlook "leave message on server"

Usernameis

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
HI,

If I setup outlook 2013 POP3 at my work PC "leave messages on server" for 100days, at home PC setup POP3 the same account and keep on server for 50days, and for my tablet POP3 keep on server for 10days, for how many days the server will keep my inbox??? How it decides it? And why these settings are under "delivery" note and in reality keeps "inbox" at server, not "sent" messages.
Thank you

Solution
Set "100 days" policy on one PC only (e.g. their office PCs), and leave all other clients NOT to delete emails.
Another option would be to configure tablets / home PCs to access email over IMAP, not POP3 - you should set your mail server accordingly.
This is a setting for the client, not for the server - whether to delete the message after it is downloaded from the server. How long your messages will remain on the server depends on which device you have used last. If your ISP has a limit on how big your mail box can be, there is a reason to delete them from the server. Otherwise, leave this to ON on all clients, and don't select to delete them mfrom the server ever.

Usernameis

Honorable
Nov 22, 2013
Actually I didn't get an answer. Only suggestion don't use this setting on other PCs.
The problem is, that our cloud email server is getting full very quick and before I have made settings to our employees to keep messages for 100days (security reasons). And many of them are using tablets and other home devices to read emails at home, which are also set up keep for 100days. And it is pain in the ass to explain employees or get gadgets to make changes to outlook 2013.
Doesn't outlook work this way, that it keeps emails by the longest time set on any machine?

Set "100 days" policy on one PC only (e.g. their office PCs), and leave all other clients NOT to delete emails.
Another option would be to configure tablets / home PCs to access email over IMAP, not POP3 - you should set your mail server accordingly.

Solution

What I said in my first post, more or less.

TRENDING THREADS