Outrageous Deals Virus and Potentially More Installed

nowayy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I realized I had a virus called "Outrageous Deals" installed which I immediately installed, used Malwarebytes, Adwcleaner and Hitman Pro to cleanup.

However, my computer is still acting slow and was wondering what else I can do to find a virus which I think is installed.

Solution
Check your system usage and see if anything is unusually high such as RAM or CPU usage. If so, then it should be easy to see which process is hogging all your resources. If not, then there may be a larger problem. You can try starting your computer in safe mode (without networking) to see if you still experience the slow downs. If all else fails you may need to perform a clean install of your OS as sometimes viruses can leave registry values behind in which case it would be easier to clean install than to try and find them.

corroded

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
ADWCleaner... I use it as a last pass cleaner.

Ccleaner is a proven general clean up tool, I also use it on all my machines...

Check your DNS / TCP/IP settings, if it is the Internet that is "slow" run "netsh int ip reset c:\resetlog.txt" from an elevated Command prompt...

nowayy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
My computer itself feels slow, programs running slowly, mouse or keyboard occasionally freezing up.

I have a pretty high end computer and should not be experiencing these slow downs.

EDIT: Also I reran ADWCleaner and it found nothing.

rollingbarrels

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
Check your system usage and see if anything is unusually high such as RAM or CPU usage. If so, then it should be easy to see which process is hogging all your resources. If not, then there may be a larger problem. You can try starting your computer in safe mode (without networking) to see if you still experience the slow downs. If all else fails you may need to perform a clean install of your OS as sometimes viruses can leave registry values behind in which case it would be easier to clean install than to try and find them.

Solution

nowayy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I've been meaning to do a clean install of Windows for a while, how would I do this? I have no disk drive.

Also taking up 15% of my CPU is Service Host: Local System (Network Restricted) 9

There is nothing else suspicious in either RAM or CPU.

corroded

Distinguished
Sep 5, 2011
What AV are you using? Norton, Trend, McAfee? They can have "bad Updates" that use the Service Host and eat up system resources. That was one of the main reasons I stopped using any of those...

Did you use any of the process tree tools to see what is actually using it?

nowayy

Distinguished
Aug 28, 2011
I'm currently using Kapersky Total Security and no I haven't looked at the process tree tools. Not sure what they are.

I don't generally use AV since I'm normally very good at preventing viruses, I needed the .exe for Driver Sweeper but could only find it on a download site since it has since been discontinued.

rollingbarrels

Estimable
Oct 6, 2015
Oh yeah, that is a good point. You installed a bunch of software to help you get rid of the virus, so maybe now one of those programs you installed is slowing down your computer by performing background scans or something of a similar nature.