heavygamer

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015
Hi, My laptop's specs are as follows

Intel Core I5 2450
Geforce GT 630M
4 GB RAM
750 GB HDD

My laptop generally doesn't feel very hot to the touch when I'm doing normal stuff like browsing the internet or watching movies, but it does get REALLY hot when I'm gaming (Dark Souls, Dead Space, Hitman Absolution and other games that require a good CPU/GPU), the left side of my laptop gets really, really hot, so does my AC Adapter, it has to be said though that my hands are very sensitive to heat. I've tried three different adapters and the same thing happens. but this overheating isn't new, it's always been like this from day one, or when I started gaming 2-3 months after purchase, the laptop is 2 and a half years old,

I've never experienced forced shutdowns or blue screens or performance drops no matter how hot it gets or how long I play in AC mode. I've never had a problem with it's performance. I'm often surprised by it's performance (Can run games like Shadow of Mordor and Resident Evil 6 too) I do have a cooling pad, and I use it when I'm gaming, and it lowers the heat very slightly, almost unnoticeable.

Speedfan readings are always high, Temp1 and Core0 are always on fire (Flames), Core1 keeps fluctuating from green to 'flames', GPU is 0 when it's not in use, Temp1, Core0, Core1 are all between 48-58 when the computer is idle, but when I'm gaming, they all shoot up to 80-90 (doesn't cross 100 ever)

I must say that it does get pretty hot, but not to a degree where I can't touch my laptop or handle my ac adaptor, but I'm concerned about the speedfan readings (I've tried other software too, they give me a similar reading) and I'm wondering if there are ways to lower the temperature down, and make the laptop feel cooler to the touch. Performance-wise, the laptop is showing no signs of slowing down.

Solution
80 - 90 is normal for laptops for gaming. But games like dead space shouldn't make it go that high unless you are playing on the highest settings.
Games like hitman will on the other hand as it is cpu intensive.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015
You can usually enhance laptop cooling by drilling a series of small holes underneath the cooling fans to assist in air intake. Most laptop designers are forbidden from putting holes in the bottom (despite that being the optimal way to intake air) because the laptop is expected to be sitting on a table, and raised feet would increase the size of the laptop.

(Laptop coolers are largely ineffective because there is no air intake on the bottom, so it is blowing against an insulated surface (which is insulated slightly to protect people from burning themselves on the laptop))

heavygamer

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015

I'm more concerned about the speedfan readings than the actual heat, I wonder what 'perfectly normal' readings are for a laptop during gaming, 80-90 seems pretty high, I've never used speedfan on another computer.

heavygamer

Estimable
Apr 6, 2015

I wonder if air conditioning or tiny table top fans would lower the temperatures down further. Digging holes underneath the fan seems kinda risky (at least to me :) ) I've never done something like that.

AdviserKulikov

Estimable
Jan 13, 2015

Well, you pop the case off and drill through the case then. It's not that difficult. AC would help in that it lowers ambient temperatures, fans can help if you assist forcing more air through the existing vents.

80 - 90 is normal for laptops for gaming. But games like dead space shouldn't make it go that high unless you are playing on the highest settings.
Games like hitman will on the other hand as it is cpu intensive.

Solution