Overvoltage from the grid causing artifacts?

Positive

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
Got a laptop from a friend of mine (in order to fix it) that when firing it up, all you see is mostly artifacts, after an overvoltage from the grid (his TV had problems too, and some fuses went off). The GPU got permanent damage, or is there anything else of trying before replacing it?

Solution
I'd try with an external monitor first to see if it's the card or the screen. Only issue is that some systems with dual graphics run onboard graphic chip on the external monitor and not the faster add on video card.

mortemas

Estimable
Feb 11, 2015
Both you and your friend were seeing the artifacts on the same laptop at separate residences? In other words, same problem no matter where the laptop is used? Reason I ask is that lamps with dimmers, fluorescent bulbs, and some other things plugged into the same outlet strip as a laptop or monitor can cause noise and create artifacts on the screen. If it's not something external like that, then your problem is inside the laptop.

Positive

Estimable
Jul 14, 2015
The laptop is the Acer Aspire 5920G, and the whole screen is just artifacts. I tried the external monitor (by waiting for 10 min after switching it on and then Windows+P to connect to an external monitor but nothing.

TRENDING THREADS