Owner of a MSI CX61 looking to upgrade graphics capabilities, Advice?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kevin Jack-Nunez

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013
Hi, I've had an MSI CX61 for a little while now and now that I have more money available I'm thinking of upgrading some of the hardware.

The current hardware my model has is as follows.

Intel core i7-4702MQ quad core haswell CPU

Nvidia GeForce GT 740m / 2GB DDR3

1x 8GB DDR3 RAM

The first thing i was planning to do would be to get an additional 8GB RAM to bring the laptop up to it's 16GB RAM max

after that i was thinking of swapping the 740M for something more powerful and am looking for suggestions as to what, as well as any information regarding difficulty of installation (Pretty new when it comes to laptop hardware modifications)

Solution
i am not really sure you can upgrade your gpu.The gpu is soldered to the mobo instead of using a mxm slot.only some high end msi model uses mxm slot for their gpu thus making it upgradeable(msi dragon edition,gt7 series).so you are stuck with the 740m.
i am not really sure you can upgrade your gpu.The gpu is soldered to the mobo instead of using a mxm slot.only some high end msi model uses mxm slot for their gpu thus making it upgradeable(msi dragon edition,gt7 series).so you are stuck with the 740m.

Solution

Kevin Jack-Nunez

Honorable
Oct 15, 2013

Ok, thanks for letting me know. I incorrectly assumed it was changeable then, I saw CX61's on sale at different vendors with other hardware (Albeit nothing above a 740m)

ronnieron812

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2015

Hey Kevin, just reading some old threads in hopes of finding out some info on my CX61 2QC. I'd like to upgrade my CPU from the i5 Dual-Core to an i7 Dual-Core...but even MSI doesn't know if it's possible! Do you know? Also,do you know if the NVIDIA GeForce 920M is a low-end graphics compared to say your 740M ?? I'd appreciate any info and I thank you in advance! Ron

Status
Not open for further replies.