P C vs. Mac laptops newbie question : Is Mac really better ?

Bass301

Honorable
Jun 25, 2013
As a long time user of P C hardware and software and never yet experiencing the Mac world , what differences would I notice if using a Mac compared to a PC ?
Do PC's really wear out sooner than Macs as rumored ?

Also , how conveniently can a PC user integrate using a Mac into his current equipment , for instance transferring files and software programs back and forth between a Mac laptop used for travelling and a PC desktop in the office ?

Solution
Mac vs PC laptop really boils down to what you want to do. One runs on windows (usually) and the other Mac OS. research them if your not sure which is most beneficial. Price does tend to be a premium on Mac laptops.

That being said... Macbook Air is a great deal for what it is. Same with Macbook Pro Retina in my opinion, although that gap has shrunk since it was released. My school requires certain PC only programs and I prefer windows (because it is the most popular OS by a mile) so it tends to have more software available. So I don't own a Mac. My girlfriend doesn't care about fancy software and just uses the computer for pictures, email. etc. She has a Macbook Pro with Retina and its a great laptop for what she uses

unoriginal1

Honorable
Apr 11, 2012
Differences? You'll notice a hefty price difference. Leaning toward Mac being expensive.
Do pc's wear out faster? No.... They are built from the exact same technology. Have the same processors etc.. There really is no difference other then Software, Looks, Price and brand.

You can't transfer software programs. Programs typically are designed for one or the other because the OS differences are so vast. Mac loves to keep their software to themselves. There are some.. Like Office that is used on both but you have to buy it specifically for mac or pc.

My advice.. Get a pc. Both desktop and laptop. Your money will be better spent... Mac is over priced for the power you get.

dingo07

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2012
The difference in experience between platforms greatly depends on what it is you're doing. If you're creating media (audio or video), depending on the hardware between platforms of course, its safe to say Apple has the upper hand. You won't notince any difference just browsing the internet.

Apple hardware is typically a year or sometimes 2 years old, unless you're purchasing the years' newest product that's just been released. Depending on that hardware, it may or may not be as easy to upgrade as a pc.

Integration still has some quirks between operating systems, but nothing that's unmanageable.

lightsong

Honorable
Jan 27, 2013
Mac vs PC laptop really boils down to what you want to do. One runs on windows (usually) and the other Mac OS. research them if your not sure which is most beneficial. Price does tend to be a premium on Mac laptops.

That being said... Macbook Air is a great deal for what it is. Same with Macbook Pro Retina in my opinion, although that gap has shrunk since it was released. My school requires certain PC only programs and I prefer windows (because it is the most popular OS by a mile) so it tends to have more software available. So I don't own a Mac. My girlfriend doesn't care about fancy software and just uses the computer for pictures, email. etc. She has a Macbook Pro with Retina and its a great laptop for what she uses

Solution