PAL Decoder, NTSC TV

Status
Not open for further replies.

prov

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
I've just blown all my money on a 47" Sony Bravia LCD TV (1080p native, ATSC / QAM), accepting a friend's story that, somehow, it would work in Europe (the TV having been bought in the U.S.) as long as it was a) connected through a decoder for cable TV or b) connected with an HDMI cable.

As I found out, this is not the case. Europe (Norway, more exactly) uses DVB-T ("new" PAL) and the U.S. uses ATC ("new" NTSC) (this TV having the new standard: ATSC, as well as QAM), and the two formats are hardly jpeg and jpg. Thus, I'm sitting here with a huge, empty TV, feeling pretty stupid.

Luckily, it will still function as a PC monitor, however, somehow I don't see it fitting on the top of my desk. Regardless, I've been searching for the answer for hours now -- fruitlessly. Reading up on decoding boxes, HD signals and similar, but there's just too much out there.

So, I'm hoping some of you have the skills to help me out, because I know, if it's anywhere, it's here.

Then, onto my "list" of questions:

Will it be possible for me to connect the decoder to the TV in a way that would circumvent any ATSC / DVB-T / format problems.

Could I, for example, connect through the HD's answer to RGB cables?

Are there any hardware based solutions available that'll convert DVB-T from the decoder to ATSC for my TV without lag?

:hello: EDIT: :hello: Apparently, the TV isn't NTSC based at all. It goes by the new standard: ATSC. It also has a tuner for QAM. I've just edited the thread to reflect the change.

Thank you so much for helping me out! I truly appreciate it. :)

prov

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2007
That's on my to-do list. I don't expect him to be able to get my money back, though, so it would really help if this could work. Really, any workable solution would be good.

I've been thinking about my VGA connection to the TV working perfectly. Considering I can get an adapter, allowing a DVI connection to the TV, and HDMI basically being compatible with DVI, it should theoretically be possible to connect the HDMI cable from the decoder, to an HDMI to DVI adapter, and then the now DVI connector to a DVI to VGA adapter. Thus, allowing the TV to get signals that bypass the built in tuner, without breaching the rules of only getting analog outputs from digital outputs - and not the other way around.

If this would help, I don't know. It's a possibility that the TV "overthinks" it's need to tune the signal, and that bypassing that would allow what goes through the HDMI cable (through all the adapters) it should just go perfectly.

Another possibility would be to build a media center computer and connect the decoder to it, hoping that some software provided real-time encryption to ATSC and allowing it to connect to the TV. Obviously, then all I saved by buying the TV would be gone, but at least it would work, right?

Any input?

gpizzuti

Distinguished
Jan 5, 2009
Hi,
i'm having the same problem with my sony bravia that i bought in the US. unfotunately i didnt read yuor post before. how did you finally solved the problem? did the hdmi-dvi-vga connection work? did you try any scaler that now they sell on line? please let me know.

Thanks Gabriele

caniba

Distinguished
Dec 11, 2008
You can buy a cheap euroconnecter adapter plug that outputs RCA black, red and yellow connections from your TDT digital antena box, DVD player, or cable box. This works for American TVs in Spain.

G

Hi,

I have a similar problem, but my Sony Bravia is German (PAL) and I'm taking it to Chile (NTSC). I was told that a ceirtan converter (DVC-1600) would do the job. It's not cheap, around 130 dolar but I'll give it a try because I'll lose too much money trying to sell it in Germany.

Does anyone know a better, cheaper way to do that?

thanks

Lili

bujala

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2009

HI,Iam facig the same problem with my SONY 42" LCD projection TV which i bought from USA.the problem with tis TV is ...it accepts only NTSC signals...the TV has DVI-HDTV port.can i connect the TV with any setup box(tata sky or dish tv) which has out put as VGA.does VGA to DVI connector works for the TV.
Please advise me as iam roaming around bangalore from couple of weeks.
Thanks,
Madhu

You won't be able to use the built in ATSC over the air tuner in any country not transmitting with that system. If you use an outboard tuner or cable box putting out a progressive scan signal connected to HDMI or component video it will bypass the built in tuner but will require scaling to the native resolution of the set. The TV may not be equipped to do that so you would need an outboard scaler (not cheap). If you try the VGA input your TV must accept that signal. The owners manual usually list all compatible resolution and refresh rates.

Karan Bakshi

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2009
Their are multiple cheap ways to solve this problem,

1) Get a standalone PC tuner, most of these support both PAL and NTSC and cost arround $50-100. They support multiple resolutions and should work with any TV having a VGA input. But the quality may not be all that great.

2) PAL to NTSC or NTSC to PAL converters you can get these on www.220-electronics.com but theay are not cheap, you wont loose quality if you go this route.

3) Dish tv users in India can order the VGA box, it has a VGA out and can give very good quality.

apurva_turakhia

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi,
I have a similar problem. But I do not agree with Karan.
I had purchased a HDTV from US and have shipped it here in India with me. India has PAL system and US has NTSC system. So needless to say, I have issues. My assumption was that if I use the digital set-top box that most cable providers give, I would be able to bypass this NTSC/PAL issue. I couldnt be any more wrong.

Anyways, I bought a PAL-NTSC converter here and is working now, but the video quality is just too bad. The audio and video are out of sync. Unless the converter takes care of the 50hz- 60 hz time correction, this will be the case.

So my question here is, does HDMI also suffer from this NTSC/PAL video formats? I believe it does not.
If that is the case, then can I actually buy a DVD-recorder which as PAL TV tuner built into it along with HDMI and DVD upscaling capabilities... Then feed the cable digital signal to this tuner, and take the output as HDMI to my TV. Will that work? Any ideas???

apurva_turakhia

Distinguished
Nov 5, 2009
Hi,

No I have not. I tried using HDMI out of a Media center unit as well. I mean, I gave the PAL signal of my cable tuner box into this media center unit and take HDMI out. The signal became more distorted. I believe someone in here had mentioned this very fact. PAL has a DC component and HDMI is completely different.

I am not sure if this will be solved. I guess the only way I see forward is having a cable operator (DTH or Satellite or whatever) broadcasting Hi-Def signals we can directly feed the TV. Till then.... Live the way it is...

rajivkarora

Distinguished
Feb 25, 2010

Apurva,

Can you tell me how did you ship you HDTV to India? I m looking for ship company. How much It cost you?

Rajiv

abi_64

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2010
Hi Apurva,

I bought LCD tv from US and connected cable line directly to tv. Picture quality is good and get black & white. But there is no audio.

Can you please let me know, if you have resolved this issue?

Status
Not open for further replies.