Palm Files Complaint Against Apple

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Turas

Distinguished
Mar 26, 2007
If MS has to give users a choice of browsers then any phone should be able to sync with itunes. Plain and simple. keep it consistent

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
I'm not an apple fanboy and don't even own any of their products but I agree about getting voted down if you take their side in any story that appears on any tech site. I'm not even sure I like apple as a company but I make it a point to voice my opinion on all these threads and could really care less about getting bad votes.

If Palm had come out with something popular and original that everyone flocked to in the pre and apple were the one tapping into their stuff people would be waving the torches and pitchforks about it. Thats what I have seen so many times and discussed it with my group of friends at work when we talk shop. Hell its pushing a couple of us in the group to really think about switching and buying our first apple products even though we really don't want to just because were tried of it all.

Like an earlier post pointed out MS does the same thing with Zune, creative does it, I'm sure other PMP manufacturers do it also but no one will say a word about anyone else, only Apple. I don't actually believe half the people that talk them down even care about who is right or wrong, or what the issue really is, they are just looking for an opportunity to bash on Apple.

Personally I wouldn't care if the government came down on them as long as they spread it around to MS and the other PMP companies that do the same thing. I do not believe in the way that people on want one set of rules for Apple and on for everyone else. And don't say any MS bullshit because the whole IE thing has got to be the lamest argument in the history of lame arguments because they want to gloss over all the illegal business practices and outright extortion tactics that were really at the heart of that issue and just repeat the parts they want.

Hey I can do that with this story, lets edit out all the Apple stuff and make the whole story "palm spoofs apple USB ID". Holy shit they better go after palm big time. If MS did something like that the EU would be all over them, blah blah blah. See how easy it is.

GAZZOO

Distinguished
Jun 17, 2006
Apple hardware with apple software makeing sure they are secure to them selves and that other brands cannot use or steal there is no problem with protecting your own rights
Gazz

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
How can palm be right here? Im not a fan of apple but quite honestly its THEIR software which was designed to work with THEIR music players. They can do whatever the hell they want with it and Palm shouldn't have a say. Is it bad business for Apple to block Palm users? Yes, in a way. But regardless Apple has a history of being the Soup Nazi of the electronics business so why is anybody surprised.

cielmerlion

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2008
[citation][nom]duckmanx88[/nom]because when you control 90% of legally purchased music and the only device that can sync with it is your own product you're monopolizing the service.[/citation]

But then again its their software, theyre not monopolizing anything. Letting people without iphods or iphones sync with itunes makes people buy less ippods and iphones

nachowarrior

Distinguished
May 28, 2007
[citation][nom]dheadley[/nom]I'm not an apple fanboy and don't even own any of their products but I agree about getting voted down if you take their side in any story that appears on any tech site...[/citation]

Hence why there are a ton of pmp devices that deal with money makeing services but also provide ability to run any of your standard off the line media. the Nokia n8xx and archos' series of pmp's come to mind right off the bat, but i know there are more than that. Not to mention they usually have more functionality and at a comparable/competitive price. Last time i bought a device like this I did waited about 2 months and did about a months worth of research on all the new devices before I went ahead and bought something.
and hence comes the problem with the way most people shop, they DON'T. they don't dig to find good deals on products that do what they want them to do. They just use what everyone else uses and then complain about it.
Honestly if you want good functionality and non proprietary stuff, go for open source platforms. You probably won't regret it because the hardware mfg WANTS the device to work with EVERYTHING. same on the software side. use non DRM'd software.

dheadley

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2006
Thank you nachowarrior for making a genuinely intelligent post. You offered some good advice, didn't resort to saying X product is @#$%, and were very civil.

The closet thing to a PMP I have ever used is my Samsung Omnia, and I'm not really in the market for one myself, but i do have a 14 year old son that wants one. I have been looking at the new Zune HD, the newest Creative X-Fi one or a Touch. I had been leaning towards the Zune HD because i think it looks kinda industrial but smooth at the same time, and think the tegra platform will be better for video. But I also feel like giving Apple a sympathy purchase because of what i read on all these websites day in and day out.

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
You all have no idea what is going on here. If you read any other credible technology site, than you would understand what Apple has done. Apple locked out the initial Pre software because it hadn't locked out all non-apple devices from syncing with iTunes. In fact the Pre had been using A HACK to sync with iTuneshttp://arstechnica.com/gadgets/news/2009/06/palm-pre-itunes-compatibility-confirmed-as-a-hack.ars.
They took care of that with an update to iTunes (Their software with their products, what isn't fair with that?). So Palm updated their firmware on the Pre that MAKES THE USB PORT THINK THAT IT IS AN APPLE DEVICE. This is all funny because Palm has filed a complaint with the USB consortium about Apple and their nefarious ways, when in fact it is Palm that is essentially hacking the USB code to make their device appear as an Apple iPod so it can sync with iTunes.
While I'm all for interoperability, everyone who is blindly supporting Palm needs to understand that they have very little ground to stand on. Apple software working with Apple products seems pretty fair to me.

jarnail24

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2008
If the U.S. forces microsoft to share code because it the largest os maker and make it work with 3rd party vendors. Shouldn't apple be forced to the same since they are the number one digital music store?

TheFace

Distinguished
Jul 25, 2008
You can still use your music with your Pre, you just can't use iTunes with it. If Palm wants to get off their lazy butt and make their own interface software, all the more power to them.

muthah

Distinguished
Apr 6, 2006
i agree with HEEP wholeheartedly, i refuse to support a company that uses such nazi policies as this. I and all of my friends are of the same mind here. lord jobs just doesnt see just how HUGE they could be without these tactics. i am in the tech industry myself and tho i love the design and build quality of apple products i absolutely refuse to own any of them on principle alone. i wont be a slave at the mercy of itunes EVER and i vehemently urge my customers to do the same pointing out the dangers of supporting a company who implements these tactics . this is just one more reason to add to the stack of complaints i have about apple when a customer asks my advice. unfortunately i would probably be the biggest apple fanboy if i based my decisions strictly on the product alone. alas , Jobs and company have to continuously meddle with a beautiful product. hopefully , one day they will see what a true giant they could become if they outgrew theyre small mindedness and let their products stand alone on their own merits. Maybe when Jobs finally retires this sort of policy will with him, LETS ALL HOPE.

lupinesithlord

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2007
If your foolish enough to use the apple software, one must pay the apple tax...If your foolish enough to pay the apple tax, then its your funeral.

G

Why sync with iTunes? just drag and drop songs from your iTunes playlists to your phone's folder, that's what I do with my Sony Ericsson.

kato128

Distinguished
Feb 23, 2009
I can't understand Apple's stance on this. If I were them I'd want everyone to be connecting to and using iTunes. Sure there's the whole exclusive thing but Apple is there to make money at the end of the day, so how is limiting you're potential customer base helping them do that? Apple has to be monetizing off music/video sales so why cut out thousands of potential customers? Isn't it better to get some money out of these people even if you haven't managed a hardware sale? Because lets face it, the iPhone is good, but it's not great for all users.

rtfm

Distinguished
Feb 21, 2007
[citation][nom]kiniku[/nom]Apple funded, developed and marketed iTunes. This has nothing whatsoever to do with USB policies. It's about Apple's software. If the Pre is so incredible I'm sure their own syncing software will be just as successful.[/citation]

Oh, in that case, how about MS releasing a patch for Vista to disallow Itunes as it competes with their media player software? I'm sureif MS only allowed media player to sync with the Zune, the EU would go mental. Personally though, I wouldn't touch itunes with a very long pole......

Status
Not open for further replies.