Palm Says Apple is Abusing USB ID to Block Pre

Page 4 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

vizzie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Who cares about their "support"? Who has ever asked them to "support"? NO ONE DID. It was Palm supporting the same protocols in their piece of hardware. Which Apple didn't like AND SPENT MONEY to BREAK IT. Got it?[/citation]

Yeah and if apple wants to implement a new feature that would cause the pre and god knows what other things to stop working with iTunes?

Of course they're going to spend money to keep their software exclusively for their hardware.

It doesn't matter if Palm asked them to support anything or not, apple's customers using iTunes with an non-apple device will expect them to support it if they allow this sort of crap. Which is why they don't and shouldn't.

There is an XML specification by which other software can use the iTunes library, which is what other hardware manufacturers use in their software and what Palm should use instead of hacking into iTunes.

kartu

Distinguished
Mar 3, 2009
[citation][nom]vizzie[/nom]Yeah and if apple wants to implement a new feature that would cause the pre and god knows what other things to stop working with iTunes?[/citation]
Then there would be nothing to talk about. But they did INTENTIONALLY break compatibility, which is completely other story and anyway "oh, they just cannot support it" argument is dead.

That, and Palm customers would expect compatibility from Palm, not Apple. So please, it's an obvious "greed" and "I don't care about customers" story, has nothing to do "oh, because of Palm Pre, somebody will think iTunes is a piece of crap" (as I do, iCrap was the reason to replace jobspod touch with sony walkman 828).

annymmo

Distinguished
Apr 7, 2009
[citation][nom]lolipopjones[/nom]Exactly. Apple made iTunes for THEIR products. Why should they allow a rival to use their products software? Last i checked a company has the right to make software that is exclusive to their hardware. Palm a company that is dying and needs to the Pre to keep it alive is just using this as a marketing stint to try and say their shitty phone is a contender for the iPhone.[/citation]

Why should we care that we want to play our music and movies on an device made by Apple? Why should we allow not be able to enjoy our products bought with our own money?
Palm should just go with someone else.
It's strange that they haven't already.
Because the Amarok developers have already asked them.
http://practical-tech.com/entertainment/an-open-alternative-for-palm-pre-itunes-users/

Apple is just setting locks to try and say their shitty iphone is a contender for the zune, netbooks.

[citation][nom]justjc[/nom]One thing is clear, if Apple responds with another block of the Palm Pre, Apple sees the Palm Pre as a worthy competitor to their own products. If the Pre was just another phone they wouldn't need bother. I really hope the Pre becomes a great enough success that they can continue to out innovate Apple on the market for user friendly smart phones.[/citation]

Man that I didn't thought of that.

Palm should use some other service then, Amarok would be nice.

vizzie

Distinguished
Jul 27, 2009
[citation][nom]kartu[/nom]Then there would be nothing to talk about. But they did INTENTIONALLY break compatibility, which is completely other story and anyway "oh, they just cannot support it" argument is dead.That, and Palm customers would expect compatibility from Palm, not Apple. So please, it's an obvious "greed" and "I don't care about customers" story, has nothing to do "oh, because of Palm Pre, somebody will think iTunes is a piece of crap" (as I do, iCrap was the reason to replace jobspod touch with sony walkman 828).[/citation]

Yeah right, nobody ever cursed windows or microsoft because a piece of hardware or a driver didn't work properly, everyone only immediately knew windows wasn't to blame and went to the manufacturer of the hardware/driver for support...just like everyone is going to go to palm for support and not blame apple or iTunes.

Great that you don't like iTunes or apple hardware, buy something else that you like better and use that (sony does make some really great mediaplayers, agree with you there). Nobody is bitching that they can't sync their iPod/Phone with with their nokia/samsung/palm whatever software, and the reverse should also be true.

chaohsiangchen

Distinguished
Jul 28, 2008
Hardly surprise at all. Every company does this sort of things in order to carve biggest piece for themselves. The only company that was kindly enough to share licensing and open structure was the IBM, and they ended up as the biggest loser in computer history.

fulle

Distinguished
May 31, 2008
Uhm... iTunes has the worse file format support, average (at best) search/filtering/playlist building... is fucking slow, has shit maintenance features. Mediamonkey, Windows Media Player, and Winamp are all better than iTunes. Hell, I could probably add to the list with players like QCD.

Ironically, Palm going for compatibility with iTunes fucked up .m3u compatibility, making the device difficult to sync in players supporting the standardized format (playlists getting messed up and such).

Personally, I think Apple's media playing products SUCK, and always have, and hated iTunes since its infancy... and feel that one of the Pre's only major flaws is that it went for compatibility with apple's .xml non standard bullshit.

Let this be a lesson to other companies that want to have products that play well with Apple's software. If they feel you pose any competition with them along the way, they'll try to fuck you. As always, End Users who like Apple are simply ignorant to superior alternatives.

Status
Not open for further replies.