Panasonic Rear Projection TV picture not fitting screen

Eric015

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015
I've had this Panasonic Rear Projection TV for over 10 years. Works great.
The problem it's always had is that the picture is larger than the screen. I've tried going into the service menu and adjusting the values to fit the screen but it just ends up looking distorted.

Can anyone help with these values?
Thanks

Solution
well it depends on what you are talking about. there is R,G, and B tubes. You have to have your convergence set correctly so that an image from each "converges" in exactly the same place such that all three appears as one with no "blur". IF the tubes are not "converged" correctly then lines will have color tinge depending on which tube is out of convergence. Of course, focus also plays a role. You will be trying to reduce the image which takes some adjustment of the image which will then likely change the convergence and focus which then have to be corrected... it is not simple. Anyways, you aren't going to get a full service course here, you need to get a service manual if you want to venture into that area. I would suggest...

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
some of your issue is "overscan". If you have gone into the service menu, be very careful. Depending on what you settings you touched, you may cause significant damage to your tubes (I suspect its a tube driven set as opposed to lcd/dlp set). To reduce, things like overscan, you will likely have to do a manual adjust of the tubes / lens and subsequent convergent adjustments thereafter. If you call in a service person, it will likely cost significantly more than the set is worth. You can probably track down a service manual for the set and determine if you want to undertake the effort yourself.

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
there is usually no settings for overscan on those projection sets. You have manual move / adjust the tube position / focus which then means you have to do a convergence setup. You need a service manual to help you out... it isn't a "one liner".

Eric015

Estimable
Dec 30, 2015

Isn't convergence for RBG? The colors match up fine. The picture is cut off on the edges. I am able to fix this in the service menu, but then it creates a bowing effect near the edges

budwich

Honorable
Oct 30, 2015
well it depends on what you are talking about. there is R,G, and B tubes. You have to have your convergence set correctly so that an image from each "converges" in exactly the same place such that all three appears as one with no "blur". IF the tubes are not "converged" correctly then lines will have color tinge depending on which tube is out of convergence. Of course, focus also plays a role. You will be trying to reduce the image which takes some adjustment of the image which will then likely change the convergence and focus which then have to be corrected... it is not simple. Anyways, you aren't going to get a full service course here, you need to get a service manual if you want to venture into that area. I would suggest you don't based on your questions... but heck, its only a 10 year tv... :)

Solution