Panasonic Shows Off Tablets That Can Take a Beating

Status
Not open for further replies.

kensingtron

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2011
[citation][nom]rendroid15[/nom]$ 1299 0_0 for a touch pad?[/citation]

No. $1299 for a "TOUGH PAD"
It can also replace the steel plate in bullet proof vests.

nebun

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2008
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom]No. $1299 for a "TOUGH PAD" It can also replace the steel plate in bullet proof vests.[/citation]
not steel, i believe it's some kind of ceramic plate

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
Toughbooks / Toughpads ftw. I once had a pentium 3 CF-28 fully rugged Toughbook. I ran over it with my car a few times, took in the shower with me, you know the usual. Very aesthetically appealing design and friggin tough. The power button is a twist action chrome thing.

1 worry I have is battery longevity since probably the case in entirely Magnesium Alloy, it acts as a big heatsink so the battery on the Pad will probably average a higher temperature than a regular Pad just like the Toughbooks.

Speaking of my future laptop, I'd probably rather get a slim semi-rugged Toughbook in the future rather than one of these 'Ultrabooks' that Intel is trying to make.

danwat1234

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
[citation][nom]kensingtron[/nom] It can also replace the steel plate in bullet proof vests.[/citation]
No, sadly even fully rugged toughbooks arent 'quite' bulletproof. Close though. Search it up on youtube.

G

@nebun

actually cheap vest have multiple plates of steel, the more steel the better protection the trade off is weight and mobility. Ceramics by nature are brittle and a very poor material to bullet proof anything, i think your thinking of Kevlar composite plate, which is lighter and offer more protection then steel, downside is it hella expensive

jkflipflop98

Distinguished
Feb 3, 2006
[citation][nom]danwat1234[/nom]No, sadly even fully rugged toughbooks arent 'quite' bulletproof. Close though. Search it up on youtube.[/citation]

Actually, some laptops can stop a close range blast from a 12 gauge shotgun if you hit them in the right place.

Status
Not open for further replies.