Partners See Google-Motorola Marriage as a Big "FU"

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rooni

Honorable
Feb 29, 2012
[citation][nom]scook9[/nom]This is laughable to me....all android handsets look the same haha? I WISH!Manufacturers are already busy "customizing" their handsets (read: ruining) with shitty skins to distinguish themselves. If they cut that out, they would enjoy much more success from android as more of their stuff would be running later versions and performance would be much less of a concern. I really cannot wait for the day that you can buy a phone and put whatever OS on it you want just like a computer[/citation]

You already can. You just don't know how.

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
A better way to succeed - get rid of the stupid bloatware and skins, thus improving performance, and update your phones faster. Why don't more phones have ICS 4.0 yet?

scannall

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2012
Considering that most handset manufacturers already pay money to Microsoft I don't think it would take much of a push to switch them to Windows 8. Especially since Google won't indemnify them against lawsuits.

Android is fragmenting itself into oblivion.

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I gotta point it out. Please proof or no one will ever take you seriously. What does "ain't dumbed" mean? It sounds like an illiterate 6 year old.Also, ain't is an awful word to use when trying to make a point. Your points are valid, I just cringed while I read your post.[/citation]
Sorry, but english is actually my second/third language
''Google ain't dumb''

chuckydb

Honorable
Mar 5, 2012
[citation][nom]chuckydb[/nom]Sorry, but english is actually my second/third language''Google ain't dumb''[/citation][citation][nom]hasten[/nom]I gotta point it out. Please proof or no one will ever take you seriously. What does "ain't dumbed" mean? It sounds like an illiterate 6 year old.Also, ain't is an awful word to use when trying to make a point. Your points are valid, I just cringed while I read your post.[/citation]
The main strengh of Android right now is that many manufacturers use it and that makes for a lot of choices of devices. When average Joe walks into the store and most phones on the floor is an Android, that has it's effects.
If you look at what Bill Gate once said:''I prefer that someone pirates windows than uses linux''
it's tells that market share is important. If Motorola becomes the only Android supplier, yes, Google will get easily more money quick, but it puts the OS at risk.

maddad

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
Folks the oem manufacturers aren't dumb either. If they keep updating the operating system on your current phone, how will they get you to buy the new phones they make???? While we as consumers may not like it; it does make good business sense for them not to update our phones to the latest, greatest os. I own the Motorola Atrix 4g. I would love to see it updated to ice cream sandwich, but I doubt it will happen. The phone is nice, but my computer boots faster. I could root it, but why should I have too? I could have went the iphone route, but all the great Android stories got me. My personal experience with Android, well it isn't as great as people made it sound. I can't speak for the iphone and ios because I have never owned an Apple product, but I doubt it is any worse than the current state of Android.

vic20

Distinguished
Jul 11, 2006
I for one wouldn't mind one bit if Google said FU to all but a few top tier OEMs. Say if they just kept to Moto, Samsung and ASUS then told everyone else to ah heck off for cheapening Androids name by making cheap junk handsets. Could fix the fragmentation and change the whole platform's image.

I realize Android would have never gotten big if millions of HTC phones weren't given out for free on contracts. Hell I'm sure girls wouldn't know what an Android is if that never happened. But these days I'm tired of the Apple limelight and would like only well built high quality phones to put Android really in the game.

Give Windows Phone to everyone else. People are already used to seeing Windows on every spectrum of hardware from junk to to the best with OEMs throwing their own flavor of junk software on top.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]maddad[/nom]Folks the oem manufacturers aren't dumb either. If they keep updating the operating system on your current phone, how will they get you to buy the new phones they make???? While we as consumers may not like it; it does make good business sense for them not to update our phones to the latest, greatest os. I own the Motorola Atrix 4g. I would love to see it updated to ice cream sandwich, but I doubt it will happen. The phone is nice, but my computer boots faster. I could root it, but why should I have too? I could have went the iphone route, but all the great Android stories got me. My personal experience with Android, well it isn't as great as people made it sound. I can't speak for the iphone and ios because I have never owned an Apple product, but I doubt it is any worse than the current state of Android.[/citation]

The new phones should be so much better than the old ones that they're worth upgrading to, not because they simply have a more updates operating system. iPhones can get more or less fully updated to the latest iOS and you can do unofficial updates of Android on your phone to the latest versions if you want to.

Google needs to consolidate it's Android version/hardware fragmentation and then focus on improving itself in other ways. The Android OEMs need to keep all of their recent phones as updated as reasonably possible.

teodoreh

Distinguished
Sep 23, 2007
"F" those (imaginary) partners. Let them invest and develop their own OS or let them pay serious loyalty fees (not the Android Microsoft blackmail). Seriously, if Nokia is shutting down their own OS department, what other company believes that has a chance to bring out an OS other than Android or Windows Mobile? Wake up, people want compatibilty for their Apps, read some recent computer history and see the extinct of 8/16bit computers..

ergys_b

Honorable
Apr 4, 2012
Sound a bit like the STB acquisition from 3dfx to me. It makes their partners get cautious. Not an easy pill to swallow.

maddy143ded

Distinguished
Feb 18, 2010
it seems most people here are have less then adequate knowledge about android.
android as system is one of the most versatile OS currently in the market, the current ICS 4.04 version of the OS can run on nearly all the devices in the market, i know this because I run it on a measly Huwei Ideos u8150.(T-mobile Comet). it runs just fine, and the specs are a miserly 600mhz CPU, 256mb ram.
so if the so called OEMS are feeling threatened by the Googrola model then its their own damn fault... they could have made sure that all the phones introduced in 2011 should have been updated by march at the latest. did they do that? hell no, they want to sell new devices based on ICS and want the people who spent hard earned money on their phones to throw that phone away . each and every device introduced in 2010 meets the minimum requirements for an ICS update, but that does not mean that they should be updated. but 2011 devices should have been updated by now. it shows a commitment by the company to their customers , that they do care about you.(apple did update iphone 4 to ios 5. even thought the update was missing some features but still they did update it.)

so if any company wants to compete with apple then they have to learn somethings from apple. the best possible future proof hardware wont sell with a old software. but a current market hardware with latest software will sell. all the android OEMs have introduced LTE devices way before apple did, but apple sold more LTE devices then all of them combined in just a few weeks. WHY? because Apple waited for the LTE network to be a more then marginal network....

as for Google/Motorola fear mongering by other OEMS, well they do deserve it.
with Motorola's manufacturing and Google's software capabilities I see a apple model in the making , but that doesn't mean that Google will abandon the current partners .. IT cant abandon them period. if it does then it faces a host of law suits that Motorola's patent bank wont be able to fight off.
what i see happening is Google will provide equal opportunity to everyone at its source code.
meaning the Android source code will remain available to everyone equally.
but it will use Motorola to create its nexus devices and make them way better then what is available currently. these devices will compete and strike where they are actually needed , in the apple's core.
if you give me a choice on buying a apple device and a nexus device , nexus wins hands on.
i have a nexus s . its a phone introduced in late 2010. but when i got the current ICS 4.04 update on it , it blew off all the previous complaints , because it gives me the latest software on the current market standard hardware. and it works wonderfully.
i don't need to replace my phone for at-least 1 year more.

and for all those whiners who keep complaining about lack of updates for their devices ,
just go and root your damned devices, otherwise get off the Android scene and go buy a fruit...

cknobman

Distinguished
May 2, 2006
Android is already turned into a steaming pile of sh!t by most OEM's already.

I am sure Microsoft is all grins reading news like this. Android troubles will only lead to more consumers turning to Windows Phone 7 (like I am).

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
Sounds like a bunch of idiots who had a thought.... nevermind.

The market can only support so many OSes... RIM failing, HP failed, MS is struggling (They actually have an original product) Fragmenting Android isn't going to help. There are already fly-by-night companies selling crappy old Android 1.x "new" devices.

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
[citation][nom]teodoreh[/nom]"F" those (imaginary) partners. Let them invest and develop their own OS or let them pay serious loyalty fees (not the Android Microsoft blackmail). Seriously, if Nokia is shutting down their own OS department, what other company believes that has a chance to bring out an OS other than Android or Windows Mobile? Wake up, people want compatibilty for their Apps, read some recent computer history and see the extinct of 8/16bit computers..[/citation]

8/16 bit computer's being much more rare as a home computer today (not as rare for a calculator or similarly low end device) is not because of software incompatibility.

[citation][nom]belardo[/nom]Sounds like a bunch of idiots who had a thought.... nevermind.The market can only support so many OSes... RIM failing, HP failed, MS is struggling (They actually have an original product) Fragmenting Android isn't going to help. There are already fly-by-night companies selling crappy old Android 1.x "new" devices.[/citation]

At least Google seems to be trying to fix the mes that it's OEM guys have been making. Android wouldn't be nearly as fragmented if the OEM guys would do what they're supposed to do. Microsoft's OEMs don't limit their machines to specific service pack updates or even specific versions of Windows to force people to upgrade or replace their computer and Apple also updates their iPhones, why do the Android OEMs think it's okay to keep most of the phones on outdated versions of Android?

On the topic of Windows Phone, I actually like the route it's taken. WP7 is great and WP8 seems like it's also great so far. WP6 sucked, but MS has done a good job fixing it and their marketing campaign, although not very large, is still pretty good (bash Androids that failed you to get free Windows phones).

@maddy143ded

That's a great post you have there. The OEM's didn't do their jog properly, so now Google had to step in. Doesn't mean that Google will abandon them, but an FU to companies that are hurting your own company in the smart phone market is just what those companies need. Perhaps they will get a clue from Google's attempt to fix this mess and help themselves by helping their customers as they should be doing already.

G

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!!!!!!

Seriously, what utter rubbish!

"In other news, an unnamed North Pole worker has stated Santa is moving all production of Christmas presents to the south pole due to the shrinking ice-caps and his exclusivity deal with the federation of penguin transporters,so the high street retailers are going to set up their own public holiday to sell the wares on their own!"

hannibal

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2004
This is really worrying news. It may mean that android phones lose the market...

hopeful future?
closed apple phone system
closed windows phone system
open android phone system (with some small UI variations?)

suposed future?
closed apple phone system
closed windows phone system
a lot of dimishing small phones os systems, one open android and all other closed (old android partners...) That would be a nighmare!

Status
Not open for further replies.