Pascal Question Regarding Laptop Heat/Noise

PirateTruck

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
I need a 14" laptop but I want to be able to do moderate gaming on it. I play games like Heroes of the Storm, not the newest FPS's, and I don't necessarily need Ultra settings. I'm looking at something along the line of an MSI GS40 Phantom.

My question is that most reviews say that thin & light laptops with 970m or 980m GPUs tend to get fairly loud and very hot. Does anyone know if a Pascal GPU in a similar chassis (14" lightweight laptop) is expected to improve this situation or make it worse?

I'm trying to decide if I should go with a current model or wait for Pascal. A large performance boost with no extra heat/fan noise would convince me to wait, as would no performance boost with a large decrease in heat/noise.

Thanks for any advice. I apologize if this is a dumb question.

glamdringfh

Honorable
Dec 23, 2013
Pascal is SUPPOSED to be more efficient, and therefore run cooler. Since it has yet to be released we can't say with 100% certainty, but there is a very good chance that a Pascal card will help mitigate the laptop heat issue.

*Note, any Pascal laptop that comes out at first is going to be VERY expensive.

PirateTruck

Estimable
Nov 2, 2015
Thank you for the response. I was afraid it was still too early to know details this specific, but I figured it was worth a shot.

My fear is that heat may actually increase, but because performance increases at a higher %, the card is considered more efficient. If a 970m is sufficient for my gaming needs, then the increased performance from Pascal would be meaningless but the increased heat could be a problem.

Cost isn't a concern, but I guess I will try to be patient and wait until more information is released about Pascal.