Password protect my external HDD folders

Erotaku

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014
I guess this has been asked a lot but I would love a software that can do the following.

It won't lock the HDD and you can enter normally. It locks and hides a certain folder in the HDD with a password. To unlock it you have to click or do something special and not obvious to enter a password and access it. Ontop of all: NO ENCRYPTION! (Unless it doesn't take time at all)

It would be really cool to also have a false password feature whereas when you enter a wrong or certain password. It will show another folder aside from the one you actually want to hide.

Thank you :)

Solution
If you use that drive on single Windows PC only, consider using BitLocker. It transparently encrypts/decrypts your files, so even if you lose your drive, noone will be able to access the files.

Whatever way you choose - make sure you keep somewhere non-encrypted backup of these files, and you keep secure copy of the encryption key. You don't want to be locked out of your files, posting "HELP - I forgot my password, can I unlock my files".
You need encryption, not hiding or password protection which is easy to circumvent. It won't step a knowledgeable person to get your files.

Once upon the time, TrueCrypt was the tool to use. Since it is no longer maintained, you can use something similar to it, or stick to it. If it is only a couple of files you don't use on regular basis, placing them in password-protected ZIP file will do the job.

Erotaku

Estimable
Dec 15, 2014

I appreciate the answer but yea they are used regularly. Usually I will have to go on my spreadsheets and photos almost daily. So that's why I refuse the encryption. Anything a step further than simply hiding the folder will do the trick. You can read my OP again for more details. Thank you.

If you use that drive on single Windows PC only, consider using BitLocker. It transparently encrypts/decrypts your files, so even if you lose your drive, noone will be able to access the files.

Whatever way you choose - make sure you keep somewhere non-encrypted backup of these files, and you keep secure copy of the encryption key. You don't want to be locked out of your files, posting "HELP - I forgot my password, can I unlock my files".

Solution