Patent Approved: Apple Now Owns "Slide to Unlock"

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

sten_gn

Distinguished
Aug 24, 2011
I will get patent for breathing and after that you all have to stop using that function !!!
;)
Apple TROLL - should be sued for suing. :p

Gelid03

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2011
Brilliant. Apple can now sue the pants off of any touch screen phone manufacturer. Can't wait til apple starts suing mp3 players and PMP devices

de5_Roy

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2011
holy crap look at the response.
apple really is trying to patent everything in their sight so that they can become an even bigger patent troll.
i saw the slide to unlock thing first with floppy disks with write-protect sliders. a lot of memory cards have this feature. apple clearly copied that in their ios devices.
why does apple get to patent this? this is sad.

soo-nah-mee

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2009
Well this seals the deal in my choice between an iPad2 and an Asus Transformer. I'm so frustrated with Apple at his point, I'm pretty sure I'm going to sell my iPods and my iPad. I don't want to be a part of this stupidity anymore.

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
time for custom gestures to make their way to non-apple phones, since their not "pre-defined"

thats why i dont own a single apple product, bunch of cry babies

nameon

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2010
[citation][nom]nameon[/nom]time for custom gestures to make their way to non-apple phones, since their not "predefined"thats why i dont own a single apple product, bunch of cry babies[/citation]

killerclick

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2010
This got me thinking... since the patent is valid only in the US, maybe this is a way to get foreign companies out of the US. If basically every touchphone manufacturer is liable to be sued for this or pay royalties, this could just be a method to corner the US market by excluding or penalizing other manufacturers.

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
You can always tell a great patent if it meets three criteria:

- It must be simple. You don't need a contraption with a million parts and a thousand page description to explain what it does. A better hammer or nail with a half page description is enough.
- It should be a better way of doing something. Hammers and nails have been around forever, but if your hammer & nail are improvements on the existing versions than you've got a great invention.
- When people see the idea they should respond with "well that's obvious" or "why didn't I think of that". Hindsight is 20:20, people can always say an idea is obvious, but until someone does it, it's not obvious.

Apple made a better hammer/nail. That makes this a brilliant patent. Too bad haters are too blind to see this fits the description of a great idea to a "T".

dextermat

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007
who cares, it's great because other company won't be using this crappy function.
I hate with a passion when I fix someone else iphone and it lock every 2 seconds

ericburnby

Distinguished
Mar 4, 2010
Have a great weekend, all you pathetic haters. Getting do riled up over this news about Apple. It must be a bad year, what with all the good news regarding Apple. Better visit your doctor and maybe he'll prescribe something to help you cope.

G

It it me or is every news site constantly changing the titles of these articles? I feel like I'm under the notion that this is a different article, but end up opening an old one.

G

So much Apple hatred... as if other companies weren't doing the same thing. And claiming that Apple is holding back innovation is hypothosis contrary to fact. There was no market for smartphones until Apple created it. There was no market for tablets until Apple created it. If you love your Droid device, you have Apple to thank for proving that mobile devices could be profitable. Still, this is as ridiculous as patenting the "turn to open" function of a doorknob.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]ericburnby[/nom]You can always tell a great patent if it meets three criteria:- It must be simple. You don't need a contraption with a million parts and a thousand page description to explain what it does. A better hammer or nail with a half page description is enough.- It should be a better way of doing something. Hammers and nails have been around forever, but if your hammer & nail are improvements on the existing versions than you've got a great invention.- When people see the idea they should respond with "well that's obvious" or "why didn't I think of that". Hindsight is 20:20, people can always say an idea is obvious, but until someone does it, it's not obvious.Apple made a better hammer/nail. That makes this a brilliant patent. Too bad haters are too blind to see this fits the description of a great idea to a "T".[/citation]
Apple didn't make a better hammer and nail, they found a hammer and nail on the floor, picked it up and started running around saying they created both first.

G

I agree. Who would be so petty as to patent something like this. It's like some idiot trying to patent a light bulb or something. That is so obvious to the lay person as to why we'd need to have light in a darkened room and it's so easy to do. Damn patent troll these people are!

spookyman

Distinguished
Jun 20, 2011
That is because other companies likes Samsung, IBM, Microsoft and others will not challenge Apple patent.

IBM could have field day for having the first touch screen device in the 80's.

growup

Distinguished
Jan 28, 2011
With all these patents and people afraid to even develop new technology, I guess I will never get the opportunity to go into space and bang me an alien female...too many patents, why even bother trying to develop techonological advances.

I bet you right now the guy that invents the hyper-drive is currently alive and he wont invent it because of he might get sued from some movie studio or some engineer afraid to create an A.I. exoskeleton because James Cameron is with his pants down ready for the b---f---- of a lawsuit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

TRENDING THREADS