Patent Approved: Apple Now Owns "Slide to Unlock"

Page 6 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Time to figure out a better gesture. The UNLOCK is one of the most unreliable features for the phone, right after the ANSWER gesture.

G

@mrpijey

and thats all well and good if patents were to be used for defensive means only, but Apple has demonstrated that they are more then happy to use these patents offensively, they did not patent these ideas just so someone else dont patent them, they patent these ideas to exclusively exclude other from using them

And i fully understand the concept of business killed or be killed i cant help but look at Nokia and Ericsson (now Sony) who are sitting on a heap loads of telecoms patents and until recently, did not decide to sue the pants of everyone and their gran (it should also noted that Samsung holds a ridiculously large patent port folio)

G

Earlier pants makers should've patented "wear pants one leg at a time" method. They'd be the richest.

I'm not sure if an entity should get a patent for such a simple thing as that and make everyone pay for using it just because they got to the patent office first with that idea.

Android should come up with a way to unlock, slide a middle finger to the an apple icon. I wish there's an app for that.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
[citation][nom]au_equus[/nom]What apple is doing is still legal, but the way apple is going about their business will start to affect commerce as we know it. In civics class, recall the "commerce clause" that Congress has the constitutional right to regulate commerce. Its not at that point yet, but by the time apple's actions get to that point, Congress may be too late.[/citation]
Congress is too busy getting high on coke and screwing prostitutes with the bungs it gets from Apple to do anything as sensible as sorting this mess out.

back_by_demand

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
This picture shows both what Apple thinks of the world and the only thing it is interested in at the same time...

bf7b556587c46049c789c6e408bb.jpg

raringcoder

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
Fortunately, WP7 uses a flick gesture to unlock... if I flick the screen fast enough the entire panel slides up. I don't need to "slide" it at all :)

Did this patent land after the changes to patent law in the US? Surely they weren't the first.

bmouse

Distinguished
Nov 10, 2010
Are you fucking serious? Quick, someone go patent patenting things. Apple would be fucked, and might stop patenting taking a shit (aka something everyone does). But yeah, the fact that this was allowed to be patented is the real issue here. Just crazy!

makaveli316

Distinguished
Jun 1, 2010
[citation][nom]Phishy714[/nom]Congratulations on screwing over every other phone manufacturer for no good fucking reason at all, making it that much harder for everyone else who doesn't want a dumbed-down, underpowered and overpriced phone. Then again, did we ever expect anything less from these scumbags?HOW ABOUT YOU MAKE MONEY BY FUCKING SELLING A BETTER PRODUCT AND NOT BY SCREWING EVERYONE ELSE IN THE BUSINESS TO DO SO!?[/citation]

One hell of a comment. Well said.

pcwlai

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2003
There are always "obvious" designs out there in the wild but no one integrated them together to give the ultimate experience. Such "obvious" integrated designs when observed by someone and bring to the public, all others will say this is not invention but copying. Is it true? If so, why not you are the one who come up with it first?

Even Microsoft laugh at having no physical keyboard and not using a stylus for precision tapping. But now?

Google forced to differentiate and used to have all manufacturers having a few convenient hardware keys. But now?

There used to be indicator LED for signaling some information from the mobile phone like SMS arrived or a missed call. Seems this is a rare feature now because the large morph-able GUI can solve this problem completely.

Even it is obvious, if no one believe in and make it out, no progress will be made.

mj4358

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
So who's right? According to TNW the application for the patent was filed two yrs before the first iPhone was released not after.

"The original patent was filed in December 2005, more than a year before the first iPhone was released. was release not after."

http://thenextweb.com/apple/2011/10/27/apples-slide-to-unlock-patent-worries-taiwanese-government-forces-investigation/
"

G

I hope Google patents facial recognition unlock in Android 4.0, just to screw over Apple. I'm sick of these stupid software and "user experience" patents.

G

....................../´¯/) here is a gesture apple.
....................,/¯../
.................../..../
............./´¯/'...'/´¯¯`·¸
........../'/.../..../......./¨¯\
........('(...´...´.... ¯~/'...')
.........\.................'...../
..........''...\.......... _.·´
............\..............(
..............\.............\...

Status
Not open for further replies.