Pause not working using Word with online transcription

Bones59

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
I work from home and log into website to type. Word processor has spell check - no auto caps, auto correct so I use Word 2002 to type reports and then paste into template online. Working fine until last weekend when website did updates. Now I can't pause audio file on website while typing in Word. Tearing my hair out - any suggestions?
Thanks in advance.

Solution
So in Word 2002 these settings (found on the web) are working for you but do not work in the website's word processor:

Auto Cap:

Click the "Word Options" button, located at the bottom of the menu. Select the "Proofing" option from the left panel of the Word Options window. Click the "AutoCorrect Options" button, near the top of the Proofing screen. Uncheck the box next to each type of automatic capitalization you want to disable.

Auto Text:

Create a new AutoText entry
1. In your Word document, select the text that you want to add to your gallery of AutoText entries.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click Quick Parts, point to AutoText, and then click Save Selection to AutoText Gallery.
3. Fill out the information in the...
How did you pause audio before: a screen icon button (with the standard vertical parallel lines) or some keyboard key press combination? Or a macro set up on your keyboard to pause using one of the function keys?

Who manages the website? Is there some support or help desk staff that you can call or email?

Any audio problems of any sort with other websites? I.e., can you you listen to a YouTube video/audio and pause it?

Bones59

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016

Hi – I paused audio on dictation audio files using F8 key (F6 rewind, F7 forward). I keep my ms word screen open on top of website window and type reports and up until last weekend I could use F8 and pause dictation from my word screen. Don’t know if I accidentally changed something by mistake or if it was coincidence that website did updates and F8 key was affected. I can pause YouTube videos with spacebar – not with standard vertical parallel lines. I have a lot of auto text programmed into word for my work so it’s really annoying and probably something simple but I just can’t think what it could be.
Website IT sucks – they couldn’t understand what the problem was and then told me someone else had a similar problem but it would be a long time before they had a solution???!!!!
Any suggestions will be welcomed with open arms at this point.

Thank you.

Just to verify:

You logon and listen to audio from the website, And use Word 2002 to type what you hear. Once typed that report/document is pasted to the website - correct? To pause (for example) you would click onto the website screen and press F8. Am I understanding the process correctly?

Do you know if your keyboard is programmable? Does it have any built-in keys for media control (start/pause, stop), volume + - mute?

What browser do you use? Is the audio file you listen to downloadable?

Here is a link with more information about controlling YouTube audio.

http://www.computerhope.com/tips/tip216.htm

Those keys may or may not work in the website's audio. Could be that the developer's failed to include pause, rewind, forward functionality or did not do it correctly.....

The goal is to figure out what keys, if any, now work with respect to controlling the audio. Then do whatever may be possible to make the audio control as easy or as convenient again.

And as a fall back: do you have a manager or supervisor somewhere that can escalate the matter? Especially if there are other individuals being affected.

Bones59

Commendable
Jun 9, 2016
Hi
You have the process correct but I used to be able to type in Word and also pause while still in Word – I didn’t have to click on the website screen. My F6, F7 and F8 keys still do the function they did before, only now I can’t access them from Word. I believe my keyboard is programmable – it’s a Logitech K330. I use IE 9 as a browser (I can also use Firefox but with the same results as using IE 9). The audio file is not downloadable, unfortunately – I could probably figure out a way around the problem if it was.

I tried all the shortcuts on YouTube from the link and everything works perfectly.

It seems to me that the problem may lie with Word, but I don’t recall changing anything.

I’m in daily contact with my supervisor so if all else fails I can get her to contact IT. It’s not a matter of absolutely not being able to do my work – it’s just the convenience issue when you’ve had the “luxury” of auto capitalize and auto text.

Thank you for taking the time to help!

So in Word 2002 these settings (found on the web) are working for you but do not work in the website's word processor:

Auto Cap:

Click the "Word Options" button, located at the bottom of the menu. Select the "Proofing" option from the left panel of the Word Options window. Click the "AutoCorrect Options" button, near the top of the Proofing screen. Uncheck the box next to each type of automatic capitalization you want to disable.

Auto Text:

Create a new AutoText entry
1. In your Word document, select the text that you want to add to your gallery of AutoText entries.
2. On the Insert tab, in the Text group, click Quick Parts, point to AutoText, and then click Save Selection to AutoText Gallery.
3. Fill out the information in the Create New Building Block dialog box

If all is truly well with Auto Cap and AutoText then the remaining/continuing issue is the functionality of F6, F7, and F8 while in Word 2002.

As for the K330 keyboard it is programmable but strangely enough, not finding any definitive procedures per se.

I did come across this on a Logitech site:

-----------------

"To program or customize the F9-F12 keys on your Wireless Combo MK330, try to run the software as admin. Close the Logitech Setpoint Software by right clicking the icon from the system tray and select "Exit". Launch the software as admin, right click the Setepoint Software and select "Run as Admin". Customize the keys and see how it goes."

---------
Not the keys you need per se but could be a lead....

Do you have an icon for Setpoint or other icon for the keyboard on your task bar? Or if you go into Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Devices and Printers > Keyboard and right-click (or click) there you may be able to access the keyboard controls or some similar configuration pages in that manner.

The objective is to find and verify the F6, F7, and F8 keys setting with respect to the functionality you need. Just focus on getting Pause to work if you can find the necessary options or choices. Then you will have a template for rewind and forward.

Unfortunately do not have a Logitech Keyboard available here to check or test.

Solution