Pawn Shop MP3 Player Contained U.S. Military Secrets

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
I suppose an MP3 player is a bit of an inconspicuous data storage device. So the use of it for data makes some amount of sense. But why the hell would you sell it, much less forgot to erase the data. Hell, even just deleting the data doesn't get rid of it.

But it makes me think, this may have been some type of drop point, for some other operative to pick up. Maybe even some one opposing the US government.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
U.S Government fail -.-

i bet the following happened

"Sir, we ran out of our 1232372739239TB storage, what do we do?"
"Put it on an mp3 player..."

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
No doubt, the Canadian military may be one of the best trained forces in the world, but is certainly also one of the worst funded. I don't think 386s can support MP3 players.

falchard

Distinguished
Jun 13, 2008
"One of the first rules of military endeavor is not to give the opposition anything whatsoever that they could use to compromise your position, in any way at all,"

New Zealand is the enemy!!! Its probably a recruiter who forgot they still had work files on it.

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
It may sound as if the Canadian Military... is a bit (softly said) "Behind" when it comes to "Technology", but they sure beat the US Military when it comes to field work-play. (US military lost a few consecutive times already to the Canadian military, when practicing closed quarter fight simulations. Usually the US troops are "Well" more high tech dressed up for this than the CND troops :S)

vider

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2008
This also shows us that this files... were NOT encrypted at all, as the guy who bought the mp3 player
he found 60 files whose point of origin was the U.S. military.
. This is really alarming. I know that one of the list of employees (where I work, we have over 2k of them xD) the excel spreed sheet takes about 23 Megabytes... so I guess that even an 128 Mb mp3 player would do the job :X .

crockdaddy

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
Gee ... I doubt the person whom put the files on it gave "IT Security much thought" ... like most of us (if we are honest with ourselves). This kind of stuff happens all the time and has been happening since forever. Only in the past it was some other medium than an MP3. I am not making an excuse, because if you violate security and get caught, expect to face consequences but I would be only surprised if this was an isolated incident.

RiotSniperX

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2009
[citation][nom]ViDER[/nom]It may sound as if the Canadian Military... is a bit (softly said) "Behind" when it comes to "Technology", but they sure beat the US Military when it comes to field work-play. (US military lost a few consecutive times already to the Canadian military, when practicing closed quarter fight simulations. Usually the US troops are "Well" more high tech dressed up for this than the CND troops :S)[/citation]

The U.S Snipers beat out the canadian snipers :p

gm0n3y

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2006
According to wikipedia:
The longest range recorded for a sniper kill currently stands at 2,430 meters (2,657 yd, or 1.51 miles), accomplished by Corporal Rob Furlong, a sniper from Newfoundland, Canada, in March 2002 during the war in Afghanistan.

So Canada has the longest confirmed sniper kill.

average joe

Distinguished
Jan 24, 2009
I figure it was some poor slob stationed overseas. He was in the national guard and got called up. He's been overseas for 15 months working in some boring logistics job. Every day he has some report to file with the CO at 10:00 am. Each day he wakes up downloads all the data from his email to his laptop. Then he transfers it to his mp3 player and throws it in his pocket so he doesn't have to lug around the lappy all day. Maybe he goes for a jog and hits the showers. Then one day he loses the MP3 player, shrugs, and buys a new one. Now, out of the blue, a couple years later the Feds are going to bust his door down and life as he knew it is over.

grieve

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2004
[citation][nom]gm0n3y[/nom]No doubt, the Canadian military may be one of the best trained forces in the world, but is certainly also one of the worst funded. I don't think 386s can support MP3 players.[/citation]
I agree... Our Canadian troops do very well with the funding they get.

G

I would just like to say, I am a New Zealander. Chris Ogle is a New Zealander. We are not New Zealand Natives. NATIVES. I mean, its not like we eat each other... We don't say, oh, those American Natives do we.
And also, no, New Zealand is not the enemy, just some stupid guy that left some files on an mp3 player.

Status
Not open for further replies.