Pay-as-you-go iPhone Rumored to Hit to Virgin Mobile

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I sure feel ripped off paying $25 a month for unlimited data, unlimited texting, and 300 minutes of airtime. Oh wait, ripped off is how I used to feel when I wasn't on a PAYG plan. Sure, I paid a little more for my ANDROID phone - the monthly savings more than make up for that.

aoneone

Distinguished
May 27, 2011
It has been almost 1 full year since having no cell phone and I am living life so much easier without stress and saving a TON of money. I just use Gmails free telephone service and emails to communicate ^_^ But I am retired at age 30 so i can do this muahahaha

G

Unless I am mistaken, this is no different to what we have in Australia. I have a pre-paid iPhone 4S with Vodafone. It's great with no long-term contract to fullfill and I can freely hop from one carrier to another if not satified with the phone service. Currently I am on a (AUD)$30 pre-paid per month , including $550 worth of calls, 1Gb data and infinite sms to personal phones in Australia and global roaming abilites. More than what i need and I use it for work as well.

Tony

beardguy

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2010
Curious, how much did you guys pay for your phones on pay as you go?

I remember doing the math, and it just didn't add up to much of a discount to go with the PAYG.

sliem

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2009
I pay $100 a year on pay as you go with no data plan. 10c a minute is all I need. Need to talk long time? use home phone (VOIP).

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]No thanks, I'll keep my Android. Besides, I bet these pay as you go plans are a total ripoff.[/citation]

yea my wife's android phone on virgin mobile... she gets unlimited data, unlimited txt and 300 talk mins that she uses maybe 10-15 of a month for 25 bucks such a rip off. i use sprint and she usually has the same coverage as I do on my samsung galaxy nexus that I pay 64.95 for unlimited data/txts and 450 min on sprint... which is still a better deal than big red or at&t

Shin-san

Distinguished
Nov 11, 2006
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Curious, how much did you guys pay for your phones on pay as you go? I remember doing the math, and it just didn't add up to much of a discount to go with the PAYG.[/citation]The phones can be as cheap as $15 for a simple phone, $79-379 for an Android (note that the $79-200 phones are on the low-end), and etc.

I wonder if this will cost an arm-and-a-leg though because an iPhone without a contract before this costs $500-600.

g00fysmiley

Distinguished
Apr 30, 2010
[citation][nom]beardguy[/nom]Curious, how much did you guys pay for your phones on pay as you go? I remember doing the math, and it just didn't add up to much of a discount to go with the PAYG.[/citation]

oh and phone prices. we paid $200 for a samsung galaxy intercept about a year and a half ago which she still uses. so compared to my $200 galaxy nexus she's cost alot less... though granted her phone isn't as good

G

beardguy: Your knowledge of prepaid is out-of-date by about 10 years. Any of the following will give you unlimited minutes, data and texts for around $50/month on prepaid, and Android phones from $100:

Virgin Mobile
Straight Talk
Cricket
Metro PCS
T-Mobile
and others

Unlimited everything on a 2 year contract with Sprint/Verizon/AT&T is going to cost you about $100/month or more.

sykozis

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2008
[citation][nom]moustachemom[/nom]beardguy: Your knowledge of prepaid is out-of-date by about 10 years. Any of the following will give you unlimited minutes, data and texts for around $50/month on prepaid, and Android phones from $100:Virgin MobileStraight TalkCricketMetro PCST-Mobileand othersUnlimited everything on a 2 year contract with Sprint/Verizon/AT&T is going to cost you about $100/month or more.[/citation]

Neither Verizon or AT&T offer unlimited data.... Only Sprint and T-Mobile do.

Straight Talk depends on the phone you buy as they use Verizon, Sprint and T-Mobile's networks. You can get an Android phone with Straight Talk on Sprint or T-Mobile's networks but not Verizon's.

Boost Mobile is also one of Sprint's pre-paid companies. Boost Mobile will discount the monthly price if you pay "on time" every month. It's actually a pretty good deal since it can discount the price by $10-15 a month over time, but the initial service price ranges from $50 to $60 depending on the phone. The phones are pretty reasonably priced though.

G

strait talk also uses ATT gsm, android at that from ZTE..and the BYOP plan (I sell them every day) look in the bottom corner of the boxes, CDMA-S is sprint, GSM-A is att CDMA-V is verizon (which does offer an android device at least on Net10 which is another subsidiary of tracfone...)

livebriand

Distinguished
Apr 18, 2011
@skyozis T-Mobile's data isn't really unlimited - they throttle you after a few GB. That said, their $30/month plan (technically unlimited but really 5GB data, 100 minutes, unlimited texting) looks like a pretty sweet deal. I'm about to get that and an unlocked Nexus. Good bye Verizon!

Zingam_Duo

Honorable
Mar 22, 2012
[citation][nom]aoneone[/nom]It has been almost 1 full year since having no cell phone and I am living life so much easier without stress and saving a TON of money. I just use Gmails free telephone service and emails to communicate ^_^ But I am retired at age 30 so i can do this muahahaha[/citation]

How can you be retarded at the age of 30?

Mod edit: Should be retired, not retarded (if you don't see the obvious).

G

This is how it works in Aus and has been the case for as long as I can remember.

G

We get our phones for free in Aus which is effectively the same as this PAYG scheme.

G

My Motorola Triumph was $300 USD when it first hit Virgin Mobile. Now it is $279 USD, IIRC. Even assuming a $100 difference in price, the difference is made up in 3 or 4 months max considering I too was grandfathered in with the $25/mo unlimited sms, data, and 300 min plan. And as others have said, service is comparable.

Definitely the way to go, unless you absolutely need to rely on a data connection (work purposes, etc). VM's is sufficient but certainly less than desireable.

Status
Not open for further replies.