PayPal Users Massively Overcharged for Mac OS X Lion

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]SpartanStang14[/nom]One can only dream of Win 7 SP1 costing $0.00...oh wait...[/citation]
Windows 7 was basically a service pack for Windows Vista, but it's $120 for an upgrade license. $200 for a full license.

Sorry to break it to you, but Microsoft has a higher net profit margin than Apple.
1/3 of Microsoft's revenue is pure profit and it has been like that for 1 or 2 decades.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
pinkeyes 07/30/2011 7:02 PM

Sue: for the overpayment, refund of any penalties levied by your bank, the negative impact said penalties will have on your credit report, and demand interest.

That was my first thought as well. Simply file in small claims for $7500 (in CA). It's amazing to me how many people go through the ringer dealing with companies when a small claims suit will usually resolve things much, much faster. The majority of the time you don't even have to go to court as the company then has motivation to resolve the matter for you as there are additional costs associated with having to send a company representative to court.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
molo9000 07/30/2011 8:19 PM

Windows 7 was basically a service pack for Windows Vista, but it's $120 for an upgrade license. $200 for a full license.

Sorry to break it to you, but Microsoft has a higher net profit margin than Apple.
1/3 of Microsoft's revenue is pure profit and it has been like that for 1 or 2 decades.

Apples and oranges. Microsoft is almost entirely a software company. Apple has transformed into a consumer electronics company and that is where the bulk of revenue comes from. If you compare Apple's profit margins to that of its primary competitors, (which isn't Microsoft) Apple is far higher. For example, Nokia's pretax profit margin is 1.9%--Apple's pretax profit margin is 30.8%.

legacy7955

Distinguished
May 16, 2011
Apple iDrone John Christman states , "I logged into our developer account and got the latest iTunes Beta, and installed it. iTunes has a cool new feature to download all your purchased apps for you."

Is "cool" really worth all the hassle, inconvienence, and expense, John?.

If I hear that stupid word "app" or "apps" one more time I am going to puke!

jaysbob

Distinguished
Jun 2, 2010
This is just like the iPhone signal problem. it only appears, due to a software glitch, that the product price was $31.79. In actuality the price was between $599 and $4000. Steve Jobs will be personally mailing apology rubber bands to all those affected.

molo9000

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]Genny[/nom]Apples and oranges. Microsoft is almost entirely a software company. Apple has transformed into a consumer electronics company and that is where the bulk of revenue comes from. If you compare Apple's profit margins to that of its primary competitors, (which isn't Microsoft) Apple is far higher. For example, Nokia's pretax profit margin is 1.9%--Apple's pretax profit margin is 30.8%.[/citation]

Margins in the software business are usually higher, correct, but you have to compare how Microsoft and Apple achieve those margins.

Apple has a lot of competitors and achieves high margins by actually convincing customers that they products are better.

Microsoft achieves those margins by abusing a monopoly. The most serious competitor they have are some scruffy hippies doing Linux.
Microsoft made Bill Gates the richest man in the world for 13 years and he probably would still be the richest man in the world if he hadn't given so much to charity.
Has anyone else in the last 20 years made any money by selling desktop operating systems?

btw: Microsoft's pretax profit margin was 40,1% last year.

Khimera2000

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2009
i have to go with PayPal on this one. They have the more mature part of the deal, its apples set up that's new. Lets hope that they work out the bugs soon.

Genny

Distinguished
Feb 19, 2011
molo9000 07/30/2011 10:30 PM

Genny :
Apples and oranges. Microsoft is almost entirely a software company. Apple has transformed into a consumer electronics company and that is where the bulk of revenue comes from. If you compare Apple's profit margins to that of its primary competitors, (which isn't Microsoft) Apple is far higher. For example, Nokia's pretax profit margin is 1.9%--Apple's pretax profit margin is 30.8%.

Margins in the software business are usually higher, correct, but you have to compare how Microsoft and Apple achieve those margins.

Apple has a lot of competitors and achieves high margins by actually convincing customers that they products are better.

Microsoft achieves those margins by abusing a monopoly. The most serious competitor they have are some scruffy hippies doing Linux.
Microsoft made Bill Gates the richest man in the world for 13 years and he probably would still be the richest man in the world if he hadn't given so much to charity.
Has anyone else in the last 20 years made any money by selling desktop operating systems?

btw: Microsoft's pretax profit margin was 40,1% last year.

I'm not disagreeing, but I think you highlighted why some have such a fervent dislike for Apple. "...by convincing customers that their products are better" I see Apple as largely smoke and mirrors. It's absolutely brilliant marketing, but marketing at its core is manipulation (coming from someone with an MBA with an emphasis in marketing). That is not to say Microsoft is some moral beacon but merely that Apple is no better.

idono

Distinguished
Jul 17, 2011
Isn't this what apple users want? To give apple their money so they can accompany their leader Jobs to planet Applelandia?

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]makabrown[/nom]this is a real apple innovation!! new ways of taking your money for nothing!![/citation]
They've been doing that for years though.

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]STravis[/nom]What I got out of this is that I'm glad paypal does not have my banking info.[/citation]
When you buy something with PP they have either your banking account info or a credit card info. you can not have a PP account otherwise.
In this case PP is merely an intermediary between the customer and the seller (Apple). The charge is being made by the seller, not by PP. Not that PP is some saint, but Apple is clearly at fault on this one.

Rab1d-BDGR

Distinguished
Jan 3, 2009
Everyone complaining about being overcharged for this update is really just a whining PC-fanboys. Apple have created an incredible new way to charge for software. Anyone who complains is just jealous because they are too poor to afford the superior charges. Apple's ecosystem is just smoother, and it feels faster - to grown-ups who know what they need from their computing experience, paying this much actually makes more sense. Obviously all the apple haters are going to try to make out like it is somehow "wrong" for apple to take thousands of dollars from your account without asking, but really they are just thinking about it wrong. Apple's true customers are artists and creative people, they think differently so they will see what a master-stroke of genius this truly is. To a child, this would be magical, to the journalist this is revolutionary... All apple customer support say is: "It's just getting started".

house70

Distinguished
Apr 21, 2010
[citation][nom]Rab1d-BDGR[/nom]Everyone complaining about being overcharged for this update is really just a whining PC-fanboys. Apple have created an incredible new way to charge for software. Anyone who complains is just jealous because they are too poor to afford the superior charges. Apple's ecosystem is just smoother, and it feels faster - to grown-ups who know what they need from their computing experience, paying this much actually makes more sense. Obviously all the apple haters are going to try to make out like it is somehow "wrong" for apple to take thousands of dollars from your account without asking, but really they are just thinking about it wrong. Apple's true customers are artists and creative people, they think differently so they will see what a master-stroke of genius this truly is. To a child, this would be magical, to the journalist this is revolutionary... All apple customer support say is: "It's just getting started".[/citation]
The sarcasm is strong with this one....

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Margins in the software business are usually higher, correct, but you have to compare how Microsoft and Apple achieve those margins.Apple has a lot of competitors and achieves high margins by actually convincing customers that they products are better.Microsoft achieves those margins by abusing a monopoly. The most serious competitor they have are some scruffy hippies doing Linux.Microsoft made Bill Gates the richest man in the world for 13 years and he probably would still be the richest man in the world if he hadn't given so much to charity.Has anyone else in the last 20 years made any money by selling desktop operating systems?btw: Microsoft's pretax profit margin was 40,1% last year.[/citation]

no one realistically can compete with Microsoft.

all i want is xp
all i want is to play games.
all i want is to watch movies
and all i want is to run some programs.

microsoft took the windows feel out of windows, which is why i dont have 7, and stick with xp.
windows took dx10+ away from xp, i cant play games next console cycle on computer
microsoft still lets me watch movies and run programs, but so does linux, and wouldnt you know, all the programs i run are linux compatible.

if microsoft didn't fud opengl, gaming would be on every platform. open gl was better than directx till dx11, and even than i dont know what 11 does gl cant. if it wasnt for that dishonesty, i could abandon xp and move to linux, but i like playing games so i will wait it out till 11 takes over, than move over to linux.

G

This has been around for months, but nobody reported it because it seemed just natural.

Status
Not open for further replies.