PayPal Users Massively Overcharged for Mac OS X Lion

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
I love this stuff. People always claiming Apple products give them no grief. Recently we had the vulnerability that could allow laptop batteries to explode, then OSX Lion allowing passwords to be easily stolen through a firewire device, don't even have to mention the iPhone 4 problems, then this little incident... I also like the guy in the article saying his upgrade caused problems and he shrugs it off with "I needed a clean start anyway" then installs a BETA iTunes!?

If that were a Windows full release (not even beta), he'd be cursing M$ up and down.

MrBig55

Distinguished
Jun 27, 2011
LOLLLLL ^^ Apple got so low on this...

Totally agree with you Genny, Apple always says their products are the best but this is called "mind-control". Microsoft did that with the gaming industry and almost every game now only runs on Windows... At least we can buy any hardware to work with it, unlike apple... It's like going to the ferrari store and the rep tells you:
- Wanna buy? We got a lot of choices: 3 models with a single color available.
- Hmm no thx, I'll go look for that porsche store over there...

zybch

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2010
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom] if microsoft didn't fud opengl, gaming would be on every platform.[/citation]
Sorry dude, the OGL guys did that themselves. MS has continually improved DX while OGL has basically just sat there getting more and more out of date and having more and more developers move to the platform that does what they need the easiest.

need4speeds

Distinguished
Jan 6, 2009
"it is a testament to the enormous stockpile of monetary resources Apple has at its disposal. According to Business Insider, the U.S. had an operating cash balance of $73.8 billion as of yesterday, while Apple's war chest including cash and marketable securities is at $76.2 billion. "

"Apple Has More Cash Than The U.S. Government"

Hey Tom's don't put partial news stories out.

If you put the two stories together, you can see where apple got all that cash.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]zybch[/nom]Sorry dude, the OGL guys did that themselves. MS has continually improved DX while OGL has basically just sat there getting more and more out of date and having more and more developers move to the platform that does what they need the easiest.[/citation]

ok tell me the game that was in the dx9 and 10 era that used opengl that wasn't indi? because open gl was STILL better up till than.

and before 9.0c opengl was FAR more stable than dx and still had far more features.

and it want that opengl slowed down that made people jump ship, microsoft launched a fud campaign YEARS back, that made everyone paranoid of gl, and moved to dx. when everyone moved and games stopped having the opengl render option, gl slowed down too... i mean wouldn't you? you just got f***ed over by microsoft, hard, and there isn't much you can do, no one is really using you, and even if you upgrade and become a god again, microsoft will fud again.

G

Maybe Apple should leave the software part to others like MS as they always do software blunders eg. iphone signal problem

beayn

Distinguished
Sep 17, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]ok tell me the game that was in the dx9 and 10 era that used opengl that wasn't indi? because open gl was STILL better up till than. and before 9.0c opengl was FAR more stable than dx and still had far more features. and it want that opengl slowed down that made people jump ship, microsoft launched a fud campaign YEARS back, that made everyone paranoid of gl, and moved to dx. when everyone moved and games stopped having the opengl render option, gl slowed down too... i mean wouldn't you? you just got f***ed over by microsoft, hard, and there isn't much you can do, no one is really using you, and even if you upgrade and become a god again, microsoft will fud again.[/citation]

The other guy is right. DirectX pulled ahead of OpenGL because the OGL developers fell behind. I have no idea what you're talking about with "MS made everyone paranoid of gl". Game developers are perfectly capable of making their own decisions on which API to use. Just what do you think MS did to make people paranoid?

wopr11

Distinguished
Apr 23, 2011
It is true, it is apple's new magical strategy to charge more for their revolutionary, incredible, fantastic products that no other company in the universe has ever been able to envision. And for an apple user, paying $3847.00 dollars for an Operating System service pack is just pocket change.

ta152h

Distinguished
Apr 1, 2009
Instead of buying Lion, they got a whole pride.

This type of thing is far worse than it appears. Let's say I write a check for my mortgage, and it's already behind. Now it bounces because of Apple's incompetence, and now the bank forecloses, or at best charges late fees, and adds a negative mark to my credit rating. Even getting the money back doesn't begin to compensate for the problems this can create.

They can write millions of lines of code for an operating system, but can't write a billing system that works properly? Seems strange to me.

damianrobertjones

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2010
[citation][nom]molo9000[/nom]Windows 7 was basically a service pack for Windows Vista, but it's $120 for an upgrade license. $200 for a full license.Sorry to break it to you, but Microsoft has a higher net profit margin than Apple.1/3 of Microsoft's revenue is pure profit and it has been like that for 1 or 2 decades.[/citation]

So... you missed the special release price that was nowhere near $120 then?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]beayn[/nom]The other guy is right. DirectX pulled ahead of OpenGL because the OGL developers fell behind. I have no idea what you're talking about with "MS made everyone paranoid of gl". Game developers are perfectly capable of making their own decisions on which API to use. Just what do you think MS did to make people paranoid?[/citation]

http://blog.wolfire.com/2010/01/Why-you-should-use-OpenGL-and-not-DirectX

this is one that sums it all up in one article. but really you can find close to the same stance taken everywhere where driectx hasn't infested itself.

shqtth

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2008
I use paypal on my server for eCommerce, and have no problems.

So, Apple hires idiots !

One can only dream of a Linux distribution costing more than $0

Linux for $0 sounds way better then $31.79 buggy software charged 10 to 20 times over ;)
Just shows you how much profit they try to make on buggy software haha,

Like I always say, when something new comes out wait until its been out for a while as there is alway bugs and problems and once you buy software and especially once you have upgraded there is no going backwards. It just plain stupid to want something so bad you go nuts to get it, and in this case there was a 10-20% penalty ;) Its best to wait so they can work all bugs out even POS bugs.

RUN linux its free !

JohnnyLucky

Distinguished
May 30, 2007
Happened to me a few years ago at a Fry's brick and mortar store. I purchased a television. I checked my bank account when I got home and discovered I had been charged four times for the TV. Went straight back to Fry's and complained. It took four days for the money to be refunded.

V8VENOM

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Let me get this straight, you installed Beta software and proceeded to download apps for iTunes app store on a NEW "Fresh" install where there is no longer a "registered" key (for your purchases) on that device/computer ... why are you surprised??

Do you also provide your banking details to Dr. Akeehja Unamuugamba so he can send you $5,000,000 US dollars to aid help transfer funds for his sick relatives?

Status
Not open for further replies.