PC not reading blu ray drive

shant1990

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
I recently bought a sony vaio fw235j, and removed my blu ray drive from my FZ180E laptop because it stopped working and created an enclosure for the drive. When i connect it to my FW235j pc it shows in my computer that it is a blu ray drive but when i insert a blu ray movie it says that the drive is empty. I called sony they told me that i need to download the newest version of Windvd because i had windvd 8 platinum , i installed the windvd 9 plus and nothing changed, what should i do please help. Thank you

shant1990

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
The firmware is updated and im sure i didnt damage the drive because i was extra carefull not to damage a 400$ drive

shant1990

Distinguished
Mar 10, 2009
the drive can read dvds and cds but not blu ray , the pc is not getting the blu ray disc information, so the drive is not damaged and im sure it is a blu ray drive

dustinallen82

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
i have the same problem, im running windows 7 64 bit, i have the newest version of windvd and the newest version of cyberlink power dvd, plays dvds and everything fine but will not recognize a bluray.

bcancienne

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2009

i have the newest version of windvd and the newest version of cyberlink power dvd, and I couldn't get either of them to work either. The trick for me was to go into windows device manager and find the Blue ray player and under properties, set the region to whatever region you are in. Once I did that, PowerDVD works great now, WinDVD does not. Under Windows 7 as well.