PC Virus problem?

amruth_2

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016
Ok so recently my PC(custom built and i bought it) started running slow after a few minutes after startup.. Then suddenly it stops booting turning off and on constantly.. After removing the ram and placing in different slots it started to boot up but had the same "Running slow after few min problem".. At first i thought it was a Power Unit problem but to be sure went to a PC repair centre.. He said it is a VIRUS and that he has to backup,format and reinstall windows totalling upto 70$.. Can a virus do that or is he trying to loot me? Thanks in Advance

Solution
This is a common scam from "Local Tech Support" they take advantage of people who dont know any better. You can read about it on consumer alert. And try malwarebytes you can do the free trial or the free version. If its not clean after that than a reformat and reinstalling windows is your best bet.

xFeaRDom

Commendable
Jul 28, 2016
Seems like a scam to get 70$. You can easily download an Anti-virus software that can find a virus if it is that. Download something like Avast, which is free and see if that works, there are other anti-virus software to assist you.

It seems like it could be a virus, when it boot loops, did you get any BSOD errors or anything? And can you get the CPU usage when you log on?

Another issue is that it could be an over temperature protection feature, but I highly doubt it.

Or, do you have the copy of windows and can reinstall it?

amruth_2

Commendable
Oct 11, 2016

I already have an anti virus but couldn't run it as it starts lagging within 5 min.. BTW it is70$ as i live in another country where the cost of living is high[Kuwait].. I gave it to the guy and he removed win10 and put win7 and it works fine again.. thanks a lot btw that was a quick reply.. What is BSOD error(the more u know xD)..

Dynomite54

Estimable
Jan 14, 2016
This is a common scam from "Local Tech Support" they take advantage of people who dont know any better. You can read about it on consumer alert. And try malwarebytes you can do the free trial or the free version. If its not clean after that than a reformat and reinstalling windows is your best bet.

Solution