PCI simple communication controller

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
My son's computer, which I built, has a missing PCI simple communication controller in the device manager that is apparently preventing me from installing the Diamond Supra Max modem in his computer. Any help appreciated greatly, all I get on searches is crap about getting a new phone or network connection. It is an AMD 761 chipset with a 686B southchip on an Epox 8K7A. Windows XP Home. PS I have tried using the modem driver disk and the XP disk.
Thanks for reading,
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Take_Out on 01/06/04 02:21 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
The PCI Communication Device driver is required in installing the modem. If you have the CD Driver of the modem try searching it for the PCICOM drivers.

<b>MY PC SPECS</b>
Intel P4 2.0GHz | 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM | Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 64MB | Integrated Audio | Asus P4S333 SiS645 | Seagate 40GB 7.2KRPM HDD | WIN98SE

jmecor

Distinguished
Jul 7, 2003
I think in WINXP it will automatically be installed if it is supported.

<b>MY PC SPECS</b>
Intel P4 2.0GHz | 256MB PC2100 DDR SDRAM | Nvidia GeForceFX 5200 64MB | Integrated Audio | Asus P4S333 SiS645 | Seagate 40GB 7.2KRPM HDD | WIN98SE

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, I am needing a source other than XP or driver disks from modem. I have tried both, should have stated this before. I need to know where to get PCI simple communication controllers from. Appreciate the help, tho.
Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks for the help, but I have tried using the XP disk and the modem driver disk, to no avail. I guess I should have stated this. Someone suggested that the driver is in the bios and I need to flash an upgrade, which I haven't ever done yet.
Thanks, Take-Out

"We killed OUR Hitler" - attributed to Paul McCartney (If so, then well done, sir)

Rob01m

Distinguished
Sep 22, 2001
Hello, forgive me in advance if I am wrong, but your problem seems to be related to your chipset drivers.

You have a hybrid system with an AMD 761 Northbridge and a VIA 686B Southbridge. Try this, and again if this doesn't help then don't yell at me.

Download AMD chipset drivers here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/AMDdrvpk_130.exe

And here:
http://www.amd.com/us-en/assets/content_type/utilities/miniport_533.EXE

Via drivers here:
http://downloads.viaarena.com/drivers/4in1/VIA_Hyperion 4IN1_V451v.zip

For all of these drivers make sure you don't use a full installation method, you MUST deselect certain things.

Only select the AGP drivers in the AMD driver set (You don't have an AMD southbridge.)

For the VIA drivers DON'T select the AGP driver.

Windows XP probably has drivers newer than these, but you can give it a shot. Windows XP will tell you if there are updated versions of these drivers but these are the types of drivers you need for your chipset.

Please message back to report if this did or did not help.

Take_Out

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Thanks, buddy. I will download these and try them out when I have the computer back.
I went ahead after trying for 2 weeks to fix it, and just put my US Robotics sportster external serial port modem on it and let it go back to my son's girl friends house so she could get on the internet.
I ordered them a Trendware serial port modem for $35US shipped at newegg. When I get it back, I will post if successful, but it may be in months, not days.
Thanks again for the help, Take-Out