News People are freaking out over the iOS 17 text tone — here's how to change it back

Sep 21, 2023
People are not talking about the sound for text messages, rather, the sound for notifications. Totally separate thing. It is now very difficult to hear the default "notification" sound for apps that use the notification center. So anytime we get notifications from various apps like doorbell cameras, security cameras or any other app that uses the notification center, you can't hear them well since the notification sound has been changed in iOS17 (to Rebound) and you can't change it. This is especially difficult for people such as myself that only have 25% hearing in one ear. I have missed numerous notifications since the upgrade.

Jul 26, 2023
iOS 17 has a new default text tone, and it's proving unpopular. Thankfully it can be changed back to the old sound.

People are freaking out over the iOS 17 text tone — here's how to change it back : Read more
Here lies in the problem - and I am on the Developer Beta Program:

You can change it to a different tone, however you LOSE ANY personal tone options that you had. Example: I tried to change mine back to the original tone. No problem. When I tried to change it to a tone that I made myelf, those tone options are unavailable. You can ONLY change the tone to one of the DEFAULT options. If you do NOT change your TEXT TONE sound, it will stay the same - the tones are still on tour phone. So - if you can deal with the NOTIFICATION tone change and WANT to KEEP your personal (made yourself) tone the option is no longer there... ONLY one of the default/Apple Provided tones are available... AND... you cannot change it BACK!. So, do NOT try to change the NOTIFICATION tone via changing the (for one example) text tones unless you want to LOSE ALL of the options to change it to your OWN text tones... as it will change ALL of them to the default tone that you choos. I am currently in conversation with Apple about this - and hopefullt this will change in the future.

Sep 29, 2023
Well written article, but unfortunately it's almost completely inaccurate... Or at the very least, irrelevant to what anyone is upset about. NOBODY is complaining about the new text tone, because it CAN be changed back. That's the one thing you were correct on. The old text tone was Note, not Tri-Tone as you said. The new text tone is Droplet (I think... I already changed it back to Note), not Rebound as you said. The old notification sound (which is 100% the issue everyone is complaining about, and 0% the topic of your article) was Tri-Tone, and the new notification sound is Rebound. And it CANNOT be changed.

My upgrade to iOS 17 was via the beta program, so these changes occurred for me a week prior to the release of iOS 17, when I got the iOS 17 RC. I assume everyone else's text sound changed along with their notification sound changing when they upgraded to iOS 17, but since it oddly still showed Note as the default in settings, I wasn't sure about that.

Dec 10, 2023
There are indeed original iOS sounds missing since the 17 update. I was using “Sonar” for messages/texts the past several years and stopped getting sounds alerts for these. I checked notification settings for messages and it showed Sonar on the first screen but when I selected that to go further into the menu, Sonar was no longer listed. I scrolled through all the other options but didn’t like any and backed out, but it saved the last sound I selected so I went back in a selected the best I could for now but none of the current sounds available are as good for me as Sonar. Go check it for yourself, it’s gone! It is available for a “phone” sound, but no longer available for messages. I almost think this had to be a mistake. 😠