Performance of a i5-7200U laptop w/ 4GB RAM when docking to 3 monitors

bummer42

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017
The setup is a Lenovo L470 20J4 laptop with an i5-7200U CPU (integrated Intel HD 620 but no dedicated RAM for graphics) and system RAM of 4GB DDR4 2133MHz. This falls into the price point needed.

The Intel HD 620 will support 3 monitors in a particular configuration and the ultra dock will support 3 monitors as well.

I'm trying to figure out if this setup is reasonable from a performance perspective with only 4GB of RAM since the graphics card doesn't have dedicated RAM.

The laptop will be used for business in a mostly cloud based setting.
With the exception of Office (Word, Excel, Outlook), all of the work is done via cloud applications.

Based on the Lenovo Hardware Maint. Manual for this model of laptop, the system RAM is not considered to be consumer replaceable/upgradeable so I need to buy the RAM it will have for its life now (sure I can void the warranty and open it up myself no problem).

The L470 has an option to upgrade to 8GB of RAM, but this takes it above the price point.

Any thoughts on how docking this laptop to 3 monitors with only 4GB of RAM will impact performance are appreciated?

bummer42

Prominent
Sep 27, 2017

I see what you are are saying... that was not my intention. I was merely confirming that I can connect a total of 3 monitors because both the laptop and dock together will support a total of 3 monitors. Thanks for pointing out the confusion.