PETA Attacks Battlefield 3 Over Animal Cruelty

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I'll probably be flamed for this but I don't think animal abuse is necessary in games.

Violence against people is something I don't think people would see and try to replicate, though I think it's quite possible that games like this influence (a small number of) people to abuse animals.

mouse24

Distinguished
Nov 30, 2010
possibility to "sadistically" stab a rat with a combat knife... yeah, possibility, thats the important word, im not saying its nice to do so but it sure is hilarious to smack an enemy in the face with a rat when he comes through the door.

If someone wanted to do so in real life, a game NOT having the option to do so would not stop them.

Au_equus

Distinguished
Mar 31, 2011
you're talking about killing a rat in the middle of a fictitious war. you're playing a character who is fighting for his survival and PETA is complaining about a rat. why do we even bother indulging an organization that compares the slaughter of chickens to the holocaust? they put the value of animal lives over human lives

Pyree

Distinguished
I sort of understand what they mean.

You achieve an virtual objective by killing the virtual enemy. But you don't have to kill the virtual animal to achieve that virtual objective. So why kill the virtual animal?

randomizer

Distinguished
There is an ongoing trend in which (German) teenagers torture animals and kill them in a cruel way.
Why is this "trend" not present everywhere else? I think the Germans better get their sociocultural problems fixed before worrying about rats in video games.

visa

Distinguished
Oct 6, 2006
An ongoing trend in which (German) teenagers torture animals and kill them in a cruel way? This should be much more of a concern than killing rats in a video game.

I haven't played BF3 but killing rats... I mean they are disease carrying vermin.

tolham

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2009
.....so they don't care that kids can virtually kill other people, they just care about kids virtually killing rats? these people are retarded.

trex2488

Distinguished
Nov 13, 2011
Wow, If PETA got on BF3 case for killing rats... Idk what they're going to do when they notice MW3 has dogs with bombs strapped to them...

guardianangel42

Distinguished
Jan 18, 2010
PETA, PETA, PETA. Oh how silly you are, with your moral objections to killing rats, those scurrying creatures of disease and death hollowing out your living room wall in a game about killing virtual Iranians, Russians, and others as well as virtual people controlled by actual people.

How audacious your cries of murder and slaughter in the middle of a much larger, much more important, and much more relevant debate about video game violence.

How blatant your attempts to garner a sympathetic audience by playing on the world's fears of video game influence.

How much I enjoy laughing contentedly at your pathetic attempts at fallacious argument making. Just crawl away with your rats, cats, and bats while the humans talk.

bak0n

Distinguished
Dec 4, 2009
[citation][nom]ajdfjti[/nom]I'll probably be flamed for this but I don't think animal abuse is necessary in games.Violence against people is something I don't think people would see and try to replicate, though I think it's quite possible that games like this influence (a small number of) people to abuse animals.[/citation]

I don't think a war game needs strong language either. Battlefield 2 and 1942 get played frequently still. Game makers are no different than Hollywood. Just looking to push the envelop as far as is allowable.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
Really? Young males have been torturing little animals for thousands of years. Who HASN'T burned ants and flooded gophers out of their holes? To blame this on movies and media shows how retarded peta is..

G

Seems quite a few people here don't quite get the point. What they are saying is that the behavior in the game could possibly inspire the same behaviour in real life. People obviously aren't going to go out and start mowing down others BF3 style (although, I guess, some have) but certain idiots could see it as "just a rat" and go out and do it in real life. Then what's next? Cat? Dog? YOUR dog?

I can see their point, and for once its not really a bad one. PETA is usually so completely full of crap its laughable, but I think they actually have a point here. Its an unnecessary part of the game, with possible negative real world consequences, so why have it in there?

sixdegree

Distinguished
Apr 22, 2011
Wait until they see Super Mario Bros series, where thousands of turtles being subjected to fire, stepped on, thrown into gaping abyss, and hammered down by a duo of Italian plumbers.

ikyung

Distinguished
Apr 17, 2010
@mediaslave Yes, let's take out everything that is unnecessary in a game. Like jumping in MMOs, emotes, skins, etc.

Like you said, What's next cat? dog? But it can go the other way. Once you start taking out things from games, whats next?

JOSHSKORN

Distinguished
Oct 26, 2009
PETA noted that killing of virtual animals can promote brutal behavior and impact the "young, male target audience".
No duh. This is why video games have ratings and children have...er...what's that word? Oh yeah, "parents"...supposedly. It's not BF3's fault that some parents are retarded.

Status
Not open for further replies.