Philips Intros $60 Lightbulb that Lasts 20 Years

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jamie_1318

Distinguished
Jun 25, 2010
[citation][nom]DjScribbles[/nom]LED lighting makes me wonder why new homes are not wired with DC and AC circuitry. A large part of power, cost, and reliability for the LED bulbs is the power conversion, if you centralize the power supply in the breaker box, you can get a lot more efficiency and much cheaper and more reliable bulbs.[/citation]

The biggest reason why houses aren't wired this way is because low voltage DC is very inefficient in long distance transfer.

captainnemojr

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2010
Do you think Philips will actually put a 20-year warranty on the bulbs they promise to last that long? Even CFLs die too early sometimes due to some defect.

jacobdrj

Distinguished
Jan 20, 2005
[citation][nom]captainnemojr[/nom]Do you think Philips will actually put a 20-year warranty on the bulbs they promise to last that long? Even CFLs die too early sometimes due to some defect.[/citation]
At 60 bux, they better... But at 5 or less, nah...

kristoffe

Distinguished
Jul 15, 2010
you know there is a tungsten light that is over 100 years old in some firehouse i think that kind of dispels the $60 price tag and the idea that cfl and tungsten lights shouldn't last too long and this is anything but a REAL bulb the others should emulate.

http://www.centennialbulb.org/

Pailin

Distinguished
Dec 1, 2007
well... I have already replaced all my houses lights with CFL and have a reserve stock of over 30 CFL bulbs from when they cost only £0.10 (UK) 0.16 USD each in a local sale subsidised by our country's energy suppliers

by the time I am out of these there should be some great cheap new lighting products on the market ^^

rosen380

Distinguished
Mar 17, 2011
Yeah-- but it runs very low power, which means the filament doesn't heat up as much which means a longer life at the expense of getting relatively little light out of it.

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
I remember seeing a report that said the cfl bulbs that everyone loves to compare these LED bulbs to are seeing much shorter than expected lifetimes due to them being turned on and off frequently. So Im wondering if we will see the same thing with these LED bulbs too. But then again who'd be surprised that another "green" technology didnt live up to its claims?

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
im guessing that you never had a CFL catch fire than... (happened in basement, bulb put itself out fast, but would have taken the house down if it kept going)
or that smell of burning electronics when one is about to burn out that screams fire or computers breaking.

i have a led bulb that home depo has, they are 60 watt and are 25$, but it should last 20-25 years, and is actually brighter than the 100watt incandescent i was using.

deksman

Distinguished
Aug 29, 2011
I hope you people realize that we had the capacity to make low energy intensive light-bulbs that would last a lifetime back in the 50-ies.

This is nothing new, and their touted capacity at 20 years is interesting to say the least, but the price-tag is a bit too much.
More materials?
Lol... resources aren't the problem since we had the capacity to break down trash into raw matter and use it for creation of new resources via molecular manipulation for decades.
Inflated cost.

This IS a step in the right direction, but nowhere near as good as it COULD be.

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
I just went out and bought a case of 60 watt incandescent bulbs. I'll do the same for the next few weeks until I stockpile at least 100 each of 60 and 100 watt bulbs.

I'm not doing this for spite, or to show off how much energy I can waste. I'm doing this because I am unhappy with the color/shape/cost/longevity of CFL, and am unhappy with the price of LED. I am also very unhappy with the government taking away choice.

Look at what government meddling did with toilets. Now we have low flow toilets that you have to flush at least twice in most cases. And those low flow toilets don't have the water volume to push waste all the way across the waste lines on longer runs, so you get a wad of junk and have to call a plumber.

teddymines

Distinguished
Sep 12, 2011
[citation][nom]DjScribbles[/nom]LED lighting makes me wonder why new homes are not wired with DC and AC circuitry. A large part of power, cost, and reliability for the LED bulbs is the power conversion, if you centralize the power supply in the breaker box, you can get a lot more efficiency and much cheaper and more reliable bulbs.[/citation]
Not the breaker box, you lose a lot of DC voltage on longer runs. How about fixtures that have built-in transformers, and then use lightweight LED lamps with very little circuitry? For example, put transformers in lamp bases, can light fixtures, flood light fixtures, etc. We already do this with fluorescent tubes in office settings. Doing this should reduce LED lamp costs significantly.

blurr91

Distinguished
Jan 9, 2004
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]interesting.... i tough "Ultra durable" products were againts big corporation bussines plan that consist in Buying,Use, Trow away, Buy againg... Faith in humanity: Restored![/citation]

Not so fast. What the "big corporations" are doing is to get you to spend money up front at the beginning of the product life. Think about it, you spend $60 for supposedly 20 years on the first day of the product life. Should something happen and you need another bulb somewhere in the middle, your money is gone and need to spend more money at the beginning of another product's life.

These products are at most situational. They cost more to build, meaning more work went into them. Work is energy. Energy means somewhere along the line, someone burnt some fossil fuel to power some equipment to do the work. There really is no net savings.

thezooloomaster

Honorable
Apr 19, 2012
[citation][nom]frozonic[/nom]interesting.... i tough "Ultra durable" products were againts big corporation bussines plan that consist in Buying,Use, Trow away, Buy againg... Faith in humanity: Restored![/citation]

Heh, that's why they've put a $60 price tag on it. I bet it didn't cost them anywhere near that much to make.

alidan

Distinguished
Aug 5, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]im guessing that you never had a CFL catch fire than... (happened in basement, bulb put itself out fast, but would have taken the house down if it kept going) or that smell of burning electronics when one is about to burn out that screams fire or computers breaking. i have a led bulb that home depo has, they are 60 watt and are 25$, but it should last 20-25 years, and is actually brighter than the 100watt incandescent i was using.[/citation]

wow guess no one else ever watched one of those burn out...

john_4

Honorable
Feb 27, 2012
Phillips won the contract to make these with the crony capitalist Obama regime because they were the only one in the bidding for it. I smell lying rats and they are in DC. DC needs an enema this November. Impeach the Kenyan.

monsta

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2008
For 60 bucks you buy 60 incandescent light bulbs at a dollar each and probably will last you more than 100 years, conserving power is a good thing, but 60 bucks for one bulb is just rediculous.

G

Yeah, Great for Earth day huh? mmmm Wonder what the ole invironmental impact of throwing out millions of perfectly useful lightbulbs that everyone already owns is going to have.. Put that in your Earth day calculator!

shin0bi272

Distinguished
Nov 20, 2007
[citation][nom]teddymines[/nom]Not the breaker box, you lose a lot of DC voltage on longer runs. How about fixtures that have built-in transformers, and then use lightweight LED lamps with very little circuitry? For example, put transformers in lamp bases, can light fixtures, flood light fixtures, etc. We already do this with fluorescent tubes in office settings. Doing this should reduce LED lamp costs significantly.[/citation]
you just dont get it do you? All doing that would do would be to shift the costs from the bulb to the lamp maker. Then you have a 75 dollar lamp stand and a 9 dollar bulb. Then no one an afford to INSTALL lamps in their homes let alone buy the bulbs for them.

On top of all of that almost none of you touched on the fact that the only reason that they can make a bulb thats 60 bucks and people will buy it is because the government is banning the incandescent bulbs. Because its their decision on what bulb you use not yours ... so much for the home of the free and the land of the brave. More like the home of the big 3 (government branches) and the land of the slaves.

Status
Not open for further replies.