Phocus Case Lets You Use DSLR Lenses With Your iPhone

Status
Not open for further replies.

ohim

Distinguished
Feb 10, 2009
I don`t get it , you can afford the luxury price for an iphone and you can`t afford buying a proper DSLR with kit lens ? What is the world comming to ... next a big lens that enables your iphone to display the equivalent 24" lcd monitor ?

killabanks

Distinguished
Oct 27, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]aren't digital photographs all about sensor quality and not the lens?please correct me if I'm wrong...[/citation]
i believe its the other way around all about the lens sensor is secondary

G

Both. Small sensors with many pixels are poor in low light, e.g. noisy. Optics play a big role as well, allowing for depth of field, etc. An f/2 aperture on an iphone is probably equivalent to about f/4.5-f/5.6 on an slr

silentbobdc

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
You're right Killabanks. If you don't have good optics (aka lenses) you've got nothing. The best sensor in the world can only record the image its provided and what its provided comes through the lens.

sylvez

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2005
light passes through the pro level lens in this attachment, then goes through the original iphone lens. Unless the pro level lens is designed to counter all lens irregularities in the iphone lens, I really don't see how this is useful.

leo2kp

Distinguished
Oct 9, 2006
The sensors in these phones are better than the lense that they use. A bigger aperature lense would help, but like others have mentioned, why not just by a DSLR at that price?

glasssplinter

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2006
If you're willing to carry all of this around why not just get a small point and shoot digital? I'm sure it will take better pictures than this whole setup and maybe set you back like what $150? This is every photographers dream! Now you can lug an 800mm lens out and take pictures on your iphone so you can still have horrible pictures. Sad thing is these isheep will buy it. Get ready for a flood of galleries featuring iphone pictures now because hey, they used a "pro" Tamron or Vivitar lens and can't tell the difference between DSLR pictures and their Diphone camera.

CaedenV

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2011
[citation][nom]icepick314[/nom]aren't digital photographs all about sensor quality and not the lens?please correct me if I'm wrong...[/citation]
[citation][nom]killabanks[/nom]i believe its the other way around all about the lens sensor is secondary[/citation]
Think of it like a gaming computer, you can have the greatest GPU in the world, but if you are running on a Pentium 3 there is simply no way you can play games on it. Vice versa, no amount of CPU horsepower can make up for a junk GPU. It is a system where the parts complement eachother.

The best image sensor in the world will not make up for bad optics, while the best optics in the world cannot make up for a bad sensor (unless shooting low resolution with a ton of light.. and even then...), the weakest link will always be where the problems show most.

As others have mentioned, if you can afford this, why not just buy a camera? It would be so much better quality. Or better yet, make a case like this for a phone that does have a good camera.

hawkwindeb

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2006
[citation][nom]CaedenV[/nom]Think of it like a gaming computer, you can have the greatest GPU in the world, but if you are running on a Pentium 3 there is simply no way you can play games on it. Vice versa, no amount of CPU horsepower can make up for a junk GPU. It is a system where the parts complement eachother.The best image sensor in the world will not make up for bad optics, while the best optics in the world cannot make up for a bad sensor (unless shooting low resolution with a ton of light.. and even then...), the weakest link will always be where the problems show most.

--- snip ---[/citation]

You beat me to it and hit the nail on the head!! It's not one or the other it's is most definitely BOTH. Both the optics and the sensor make a "system" for capturing light. The better the "system" the better the resulting image that can be stored. Note that I state "can be stored" since another important part of the overall system besides capturing light, is how (and to what extent) the image is processed/manipulated and then how it is stored as in what level if any compression is used.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
got the Nokia n8 and i would love this kind of shell, getting my nokia 808 next week and this kind off equipment would be 100% right for the 41Mp

G

The iPhone 4S's sensor is a 1/3.2" type with a crop factor of 7.6...getting the DSLR adapter is useless for normal shooting since a normal 50mm lens becomes a 380mm telephoto equivalent!! Of course, if you're into extreme zooms, that's another story...a 200mm lens becomes 1520mm! (~50X magnification)

Status
Not open for further replies.