photo format changed

tally jones

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
hi there i need help to veiw my photos, i saved photos to a usb from my computer, i then plugged usb into my laptop and tried to veiw them it wouldnt allow me to saying the photos are too big and/or it doesnt recognise format, so i went back to my computer plugged in usb and they now wont show on there either please help!!

Solution
Out of curiosity, what does it say that the file type is for the images you are trying to look at?
Sometimes on USBs weird duplicates show up, saying they're .jpg or .png or the like, but aren't. They almost always have a "._" in front of the file name. These won't open. But usually the normal files are also on the USB.
There is also a possibility that instead of copying the files to the USB that it may have made a shortcut.
Do you still have access to the original files?
If you can, take all the files off the the USB you want to keep, dump them in a folder on the desktop, and reformat your USB. This takes it back to factory settings (and deletes the saved data, hence the desktop dump). This should eliminate it being an issue with the...
Hi,

Whats the name of the program that you use to open those pictures from your other PC? Next question is do you always do "Safely Remove Device" before you unplug your USB driver from your PC? If not it could actually damage the drive. On the other PC where the pictures can't be opened please do the following troubleshooting steps.
- Click Start then Default Programs
- Click on Associate a file type or protocol with a programs.
- Look for .jpeg or .jpg click on it then click again on Change program...
- Select Windows Photo Viewer then click OK.
- Try opening those said pictures again from the other PC.

tally jones

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015

tally jones

Estimable
Nov 13, 2015
Hi there yes i always unplug safely for that very reason, the original computer photos were on, uses window and fax viewer to view. I then put them on usb took to laptop and tried opening them on windows photo viewer, then paint, then photos and back again to windows photo viewer nothing worked.so i took out usb went back to original pc and they wouldnt work on there either after i done that.
I will try your solution but if you think of any more, or anyone does please help!

Thank you for replying

Key-00

Estimable
Nov 19, 2015
Out of curiosity, what does it say that the file type is for the images you are trying to look at?
Sometimes on USBs weird duplicates show up, saying they're .jpg or .png or the like, but aren't. They almost always have a "._" in front of the file name. These won't open. But usually the normal files are also on the USB.
There is also a possibility that instead of copying the files to the USB that it may have made a shortcut.
Do you still have access to the original files?
If you can, take all the files off the the USB you want to keep, dump them in a folder on the desktop, and reformat your USB. This takes it back to factory settings (and deletes the saved data, hence the desktop dump). This should eliminate it being an issue with the USB. Throw all your old files back on it (or throw a few new files on it if you didn't save anything). Check to make sure it's working. Then check on another computer.

If it's all good, try again if you have access to the original files.

See if any of that helps. Let us know!

Good luck!

Solution