Photoshop 7 wont launch

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
I installed Photoshop and Paint Shop Pro after ripping out the HP scanning software. Both programs launch fine and stay open without crashing or any error messages now--however, the IMPORT function does not "see" the HP1100Axi scanner. What would you suggest at this point? The HP printer/copier/scanner 1100Axi is probably 2-3 years old.

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
What you are probably looking at is replacing the HP software with an updated version, along with newer drivers for the scanner. If you are using software that was meant for an earlier operating system, that could certainly be the reason for the error messages.

I recall having to do the same thing with an older HP scanner, when upgrading from nothing more than Win98 to Win98SE. I had to purchase new software ... there are very few free updates or upgrades when dealing with HP.

I don't have time at the moment to search the HP site, but your best bet is to contact HP, and see if the scanner will be compatible with newer software, and how you can go about making the purchase.

Or ..

You can just get a new scanner.

In my experience, HP scanners tend to begin failing after about 2-3 years; especially the bulb, and the cost of the bulb replacement is usually more than the scanner is worth. Yanking the bulb out is not a user-friendly situation, at the very least.

Personally, I prefer using a scanner that doesn't require Windows drivers, if possible, and that comes with software that can be upgraded without pouring more cash down a black hole.

I've had good experience with Epson scanners, the majority of the time .... but for real quality, <A HREF="http://www.microtekusa.com/index.html" target="_new">MicroTek</A> makes a scanner that is hard to beat. I picked up a SCSI-2 scanner from them over three years ago, and was still able to get updated SCSI drivers and scanning software from them for WinXP, even after that length of time.

I'm not suggesting that you run out and get a SCSI-2 scanner, because that's a little dated at this point, but the MicroTek products are certainly worth examining, if you are in the market for a new device. A good Firewire or USB 2.0 scanner would be a nice combination to go along with Photoshop 7.0, and you'd be finished with any *&^%$! HP compatibility issues. For good.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

inquiring

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2002
Thank you. I think Id rather put money into a new scanner than pay HP for drivers that should be provided for my current HP product that I paid retail for. Ive had nothing but problems with HP products--on my first LaserJet the fuser burned out--on my 2nd Laserjet the paper started jamming and HP had a class action lawsuit before they even decided on a fix. Now this--cant find a scanner TWAIN driver that will support WIN XP for Adobe Photoshop.
HP=Hardly Practical, imho.

Zoron

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
I wish HP were unique in this approach, but alas, they are not. Umax wants $75 US (if I remember correctly) for their new Vistascan CD that's compatible with Windows XP. (This applies to their older scanners such as the 2000U). Thanks to a little search on Kazaa... I was able to get the software I needed with no charge. (Which is as it should be, damnit!)

I haven't had problems with any HP products I've used or sold. Granted, I haven't run across many of their scanners; but we did sell quite a few of the all-in-ones when they first came out... the 1150C and 1175C.

*Shrug*

Anyway... glad you got it sorted out... didn't think it was an XP only issue. Drivers can do the weirdest things sometimes.

<font color=red> If you design software that is fool-proof, only a fool will want to use it. </font color=red>

Toejam31

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Oh, yes ... I've seen users complaining about Umax's approach to software and drivers on different forums. I count myself fortunate that I never bought any of their products, partially due to pricing, and the rest because the products just didn't stack up against similar offerings when I was browsing the market, looking for a decent scanner.

I didn't think the issue with Photoshop 7.0 was ever a WinXP problem either, which is why I kept suggesting different approaches to tackling the source of the errors.

Interestingly enough, this would have been a much easier thing to troubleshoot with a list of all the hardware, and an accurate list of software already installed. The whole time, I kept wishing I could <i>see</i> the computer, instead of just working remotely, after-the-fact. I would have spotted that HP software within a few minutes of accessing the desktop, and simply checking the driver date would have settled my mind as to which driver and device was causing the interference.

But thems the breaks. GIGO.

Toey

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/index.php?act=ST&f=41&t=328&s=91c282f2e5207e99b7a652ee13b3512a" target="_new"><font color=green>My System Rigs</font color=green></A>

<A HREF="http://forums.btvillarin.com/" target="_new"><b><font color=purple>BTVILLARIN.com</font color=purple></b></A> - <i><font color=orange>Your Computer Questions Answered</font color=orange></i>

G

While Photoshop is opening, press SHIFT CTRL and ALT buttons via your keyboard. Delete the SETTINGS file. Should work.

Also make sure empty .tmp files are not eating up your pc's memory.

Lastly, run virus, trojan and malware checks to make sure your pc is not affected. Malware can do horrible things to software settings!

Best regards!