DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013
I have Photoshop CC (CS7) and after spending some time on a project, moving layers, shapes, and panning(moving) around the project with the spacebar and mouse becomes so slow and laggy like it gets stuck or stutters. I have single channel (stupid me never got two sticks) 8gb of memory, and a GTX 660 SC gpu (if that matters), the rest of my specs are in my signature. At school we use Photoshop CS6 all the time, but it runs better on their computers (loads extremely slow though), but their mass produced Dell computer specs are worse than mine, only exception maybe being they use low end Intel server cpu's. My schools computers have only 4gb of ram and also have an NVIDIA Quadro 600 or K600, but even so, i think a GTX 660 is better than that. So shouldn't Photoshop run and perform smoother and better on my pc than on the schools computers, which would mean it should run flawless on my pc? Why might this be, and how can i fix it, make Photoshop run smoother and stop being so laggy?

Any help and recommendations are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

Although your video card is better for gaming, the Quadro cards are specifically made to work with pro software like Photoshop, and your CPU is also not as good for the type of work that Photoshop does. Although you did not list the CPUs the school has, you need to check some benchmarks between those and yours, especially the media creation benchmarks.

Those may not fully explain the differences in speeds, but since the school systems are setup for their tasks and yours is more of a general use and game system, you will see differences.

coconutbutter

Estimable
May 9, 2014
Hey I got the same problem too, but a bit more severe... Sometimes because of PTS my computer would be frozen for like... 10min? Actually I'm thinking of switching from PTS to something... lighter? Aka require less RAM and Disk space. Any suggestion for a good compact image editor software out there guys?

DarkDubzs

Honorable
Jun 10, 2013

What's your pc specs? Photoshop is a professional grade image editor, so its not really designed around being lightweight, but i believe my specs should handle it easily enough.