Picking a good looking laptop [REVISED VERSION!!!]

William Heard

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013
Hi! this is a sort of re-post of my last "picking a good looking laptop", so lets just pretend that one never existed.
So, I am looking for a companion gaming laptop for my 1500$ gaming desktop- but my laptop buget, well... its only 500$. I know I really cant get a "gaming" laptop in that range, but im not really looking for a amazing laptop, just one that looks cool. Now, I know what your saying- "Dude, all you see is the screen and keyboard, WTF u need a good looking one when you can get a bad lookin one with wayyyyy better graphics and such." and the answer to that is....
[INSERT DRUMROLL HERE]
I am a vain, petty, and shallow freak, who wants to make his buds jealous. so yeah.
(btw, if worst comes to worst, I might get a laptop skin.)

William Heard

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Im aware of the skin option, but preferably a machine with some cool metal texture too.

William Heard

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

The Haswell what? sorry, Im a bit of a newbie in the laptop world.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012
Haswell is intels new chip architecture that is coming out, its the next generation of CPUs and sounds impressive to me and worth waiting for. Should get you more performance for 500. I have a buddy though that has a refurbished ASUS, like a 14" or so that he has had for two or three years, it looks good and he got it for 500. Lenovo Y500 and 580 look good, if you can find one refurbished

William Heard

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

Can you give me the model of the asus? I have found they have some cool ones.
Lenvova Y500: yowzas! first google search, amazon is selling for 1000.

There will be different versions of the integrated graphics in mobile Haswell CPUs. The least powerful will be the Intel HD 4600 which is estimated to be about 20% more powerful than the current Intel HD 4000. I believe the Intel HD 5200e (Intel HD 5200 + eDRAM) is the fastest version which so far is rumored to be about equal to the nVidia GT 650m.

No real information is out yet (at least none that I've seen). I suspect the Intel HD 5200e will only be equipped in Intel's higher end CPUs meaning the Core i7 CPUs. I could be wrong, it may appear in the Core i5 CPUs as well. Only time will tell.

MANOFKRYPTONAK

Distinguished
Feb 1, 2012

I think that would be awesome, I suspect lower power and heat? If I were the OP I would wait a three more months and see what Haswell brings, I'm excited for it!

William Heard

Honorable
Apr 6, 2013

its still outa my price range, sorry.
in case your wondering, im still watching this thread, having picking a desktop case troubles.
90 views, and like 10 respondes? : : ( common people I really do need answers.