Picking up radio station signal through my speakers

Page 3 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

thats some crazy *** cuz my tv just picked up a cops radio... He said we have a 421 moving in on target. and i swear to god this came out of my TV

G

I figured out what the religious radio station is!!!!!! its called world harvest radio!! their website is http://www.whr.org/

stratocaster1

Distinguished
Jun 26, 2010
I'm no expert but i think the problems might be caused by the use of unbalanced cables. I don't know if it will account for all of the situations previously stated but the tutor on my sound engineering course said that external interference can be picked up if using unbalanced cables. I wont bore anyone with the details but unbalanced cables only have two conductors the conductor that carries the "hot signal" and one is the ground. Balanced cables use three conductors, one being positive, one being negative and the last the ground. Basically the balanced cables eliminate external interference (radio frequencies etc.) by using phase theory (blah blah blah boring theory stuff... :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: :sleep: ). My suggestion would be buy balanced cables although I know this isn't the only solution. I know most if not all recording studios don't use unbalanced cables due to the possible interference. Can't think of any reasons speakers would be the problems.

Hope it helps! Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

G

An interesting observation. Except that most of the complaints are about cheap(ish) powered speakers of the type used with computers. These are not designed to be used with anything other than the standard speaker wiring.

Where I suspect you are on the right track is the fact that many place all the electronics in one speaker unit and run an unscreened lead to the second speaker from the power amplifier circuitry in the first. Due to the crude design of these powered speakers the unscreened wire may well be acting as an antenna and feeding interference back into the amplifiers.

yahya94

Distinguished
Jul 22, 2009
OMG! same! I thought it was just me, but no! I have x240 too, and sometimes it picks up random radio stations. But weirdly my guitar amplifier picks them up too

westom

Distinguished
Mar 30, 2009

It was explained earlier.
The reason for interference is typically the same concept that makes crystal radios work.

G

I think this discussion has run its course and has started repeating itself so I'm closing it.

Status
Not open for further replies.