Picture of the back of the eye

tazgha4

Estimable
May 28, 2015
Hi I'm looking for a lens attachment for my iPhone to take a picture of the back of the eye. Is there anything you can recommend?
Thanks Taz

Sorry, maybe I'm misreading this—you want to take a picture of the back of your eye? As in, the back of your actual eye? Wouldn't that require some kind of x-ray or imaging technology seeing as that's not something that is physically visible (unless you pop your eye out of the socket)?

tazgha4

Estimable
May 28, 2015

tazgha4

Estimable
May 28, 2015
When I say "back of the eye" I mean to say the retina. It is possible to take a picture of the retina via the pupil opening. I imagine I would require a lens with a high magnification. I have read a few articles about the development of the technology but was wondering if there is anything available on the open market possible to do this already though.

While there are certainly lens magnifiers available, I don't know if any will offer the level of magnification or detail you'd need to view the retina. I've seen some that go as high as 20x but having never tried them, I can't say if it'll work.

Doesn't seem like a phone camera would be ideal for that kind of thing though, especially considering what a niche audience it would target and the fact that it would have to be redesigned every time the phone went through a redesign.

tazgha4

Estimable
May 28, 2015

tazgha4

Estimable
May 28, 2015
The market may seem very niche in a developed country due to the access to affordable eyecare. But there is a great need for this sort of technology in developing countries.

I understand your concerns in regards to the need to redesign the lens as new models are released.

Thank you for your efforts but I think this requires knowledge from someone who knows
more on the subject.

I will look at lens available with 20x mag but what type of lens (I.e macro/ fish eye/ telescopic). I have little knowledge of photography.