Pilot Who Refused Body Scan May Lose His Job

Page 5 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.
G

I thought they wanted to arm the pilots. So what's the point of the search

irtehyar

Distinguished
Nov 8, 2007
First we accept this, then before you know it, people with over 4 oz of hair gel are carted off to the gas chambers.

mosu

Distinguished
Apr 13, 2010
If the pilots have to be screened,I think they must have equal opportunity to see security agents nude,so they must take turns on the scanner.Just my opinion...

chriskrum

Distinguished
Aug 11, 2009
Do the baggage handlers, mechanics and guys working on the tarmac go through a full body scan everyday? How about TSA employees?

There's no common sense being exercised here. If we're worried that the pilot is going to sneak a bomb through security and pass it off to another plane then it's time to give up. Ground all planes and take the bus.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
It has been demonstrated that the new body scanners are even less effective at detecting liquid explosives than the older machines. These scanners are a worthless waste of money and given their ineffectiveness, a definite violation of privacy. The pilot was correct to refuse the scan, and all citizens should likewise "opt-out" of this gross abuse of power.

geoffs

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
[citation][nom]chriskrum[/nom]There's no common sense being exercised here. If we're worried that the pilot is going to sneak a bomb through security and pass it off to another plane then it's time to give up. Ground all planes and take the bus.[/citation]
Common sense in government??? Surely you jest.

But seriously, a pilot doesn't need to sneak a bomb or anything else on a plane, he's already in control of the plane. If he wants to blow it up or crash it into a building, the only thing to stop him are the co-pilot and maybe a navigator/flight engineer. Screening the pilot (other than checking for drugs, etc) every time he gets on the plane is senseless. It's about as useful as putting on a condom after you've had sex. All the screening should have been done long before he was ever allowed to set foot in a cockpit, with periodic physical and mental evaluations to see that nothing has changed significantly since the previous evaluation.

Camikazi

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2008
[citation][nom]neiroatopelcc[/nom]Travel by car or train instead. Might be slower, but at least privacy is an option.[/citation]
Let me know when you can get to Europe from USA on a train :p

G

Err.. How do the security people know he was a pilot? Cause he had an id? He was wearing a pilot uniform? All can be faked. He was no reuired to use the security, he had two options, 1) Take the scan and go to work. 2) Go home. He, and everyone who uses airports has the choice!

alextheblue

Distinguished
Apr 3, 2001
[citation][nom]WhySoBluePandaBear[/nom]Clever, but we both know this is vastly different. You're talking about barging into my house vs OPTIONAL travel. [/citation]
Yeah why don't we strip search you and your boyfriend every time you get into your car. Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right! It's OPTIONAL!

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]alidan[/nom]an airport is a privately owned entity, that is regulated by the government.[/citation]
Which makes it a government controlled facility. This means you are required to abide by whatever laws the government tells you to abide by to enter the facility. You can't even legally fly a plane unless the government tells you that you can. Just because this guy is an airline employee does not give him the right to refuse to be searched, either by body scan or enhanced pat down.

G

WTF
A pilot doesn't need to be screened just in case he might try to take control of the plane.. he is already in control the plane that's just absurd...

G

Thank you, Mike for standing up for your constitutional rights. People need to think about what is being taken away from them before just offering it up to the government. We should also be concerned about the repeated radiation exposure each time we pass through these things. Radiation is accumulative and is a KNOWN CAUSE OF CANCER. Protect yourself and your loved ones by providing them with the facts to help them make an informed decision BEFORE they get to the airport.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]gooduses[/nom]Thank you, Mike for standing up for your constitutional rights. People need to think about what is being taken away from them before just offering it up to the government. We should also be concerned about the repeated radiation exposure each time we pass through these things. Radiation is accumulative and is a KNOWN CAUSE OF CANCER. Protect yourself and your loved ones by providing them with the facts to help them make an informed decision BEFORE they get to the airport.[/citation]
Please. If someone wants to ride in my car I have the right to search them as I see fit. If they don't like it then they don't have to ride in my car. Likewise, an airport has the right to search you in any manner they want before letting you ride on a privately owned airplane because it's THEIR airplane. Get over it. As for cancer, you should know that everything causes cancer. According to the state of California filling your car up with gas can cause cancer.

suisenbenjo

Distinguished
Aug 7, 2010
[citation][nom]techguy378[/nom] Likewise, an airport has the right to search you in any manner they want before letting you ride on a privately owned airplane because it's THEIR airplane.[/citation]

I think you're a little confused. The airport does not search anyone, nor is it THEIR airplane. The TSA, a government agency, searches people, the airline owns the airplane, and your asinine analogy to someone riding in your car makes no sense. Maybe don't be so arrogant when you have no idea what you're talking about. :)

TheWhiteRose000

Distinguished
Jul 10, 2010
my personal option.
There are a bunch of morons running everything.

I can understand a metal detector.
I can understand a luggage check.
I can understand a background check.
I can EVEN understand if they called a drug dog in.

But I CANNOT understand the level of degree where they need to do a "cavity search" or full body x-ray.
What are they gonna do? Hide a Ceramic knife in there Vagina or Ass crack?

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]suisenbenjo[/nom]I think you're a little confused. The airport does not search anyone, nor is it THEIR airplane. The TSA, a government agency, searches people, the airline owns the airplane, and your asinine analogy to someone riding in your car makes no sense. Maybe don't be so arrogant when you have no idea what you're talking about.[/citation]
An airline employee of any kind is no more special than a regular passenger. If terrorists find a way around being caught by a metal detector then security procedures need to be changed accordingly. Changes in screening procedures should apply to everyone, not just certain people.

techguy378

Distinguished
Jul 14, 2009
[citation][nom]TheWhiteRose000[/nom]my personal option.There are a bunch of morons running everything.I can understand a metal detector.I can understand a luggage check.I can understand a background check.I can EVEN understand if they called a drug dog in.But I CANNOT understand the level of degree where they need to do a "cavity search" or full body x-ray.What are they gonna do? Hide a Ceramic knife in there Vagina or Ass crack?[/citation]
Not all bomb making materials can be found by a metal detector. What if someone has a plastic bomb or non metallic ingredients to make a bomb? A metal detector won't detect those and they likely won't be in carry on luggage going through the x-ray machine.

gorehound

Distinguished
Jan 16, 2009
yesterday i was harrassed by copppers in miineapolis going home to maine.

1.was dropped off hours early for flights so i hung out b4 the security in order to smoke cigs b4 going in.20 minutes or so later 3 coppers had to come over and bug me.i am an artist and have red hair/black leather jacket.i am white skinned.

2.little later i go to security line.there i was made to go into the body scan and also i was fully patted down.and i mean fully like by my dick,etc.

3. 1984 is already here

G

Pilots are not the problem , clearly , LET THEM DO THEIR JOB WITHOUT THESE TSA IDIOTS UPSETTING THEM.

Status
Not open for further replies.