Pioneer RT 707

Solution
G
If the drive and pinch wheel are not gripping the tape (or the motor is failing) one symptom may be this.

Think about the gearing effects on the take up spool as the diameter of the tape on the spool increases -- and the gearing effect on the feed spool as the diameter of the tape on the spool reduces.

There may also be an adjustment to reduce or increase the braking on the feed hub (maybe just electric damping).

I would also check that broken tape hasn't jammed either hub.

This all may sound a bit esoteric but I had some experience of rebuilding Ferrograph and Revox tape decks (in the distant past).

While the Pioneer reel decks were very cute they weren't of much use in a pro environment.
G

If the drive and pinch wheel are not gripping the tape (or the motor is failing) one symptom may be this.

Think about the gearing effects on the take up spool as the diameter of the tape on the spool increases -- and the gearing effect on the feed spool as the diameter of the tape on the spool reduces.

There may also be an adjustment to reduce or increase the braking on the feed hub (maybe just electric damping).

I would also check that broken tape hasn't jammed either hub.

This all may sound a bit esoteric but I had some experience of rebuilding Ferrograph and Revox tape decks (in the distant past).

While the Pioneer reel decks were very cute they weren't of much use in a pro environment.

Solution