Piracy Isn't Such a Bad Thing, Says Maker of Angry Birds

Status
Not open for further replies.
G

Because they make their money off advertising. Duh. Their games are nothing, its like a month's worth of work from a small team.

If they started spending 8-9 figures to create real games, and rely solely on the money from sales to recoup their investment they would change their opinion overnight.

the_krasno

Distinguished
Sep 29, 2009
That's the way everyone should see piracy. Me? I'm a pirate. Do I purchase games, music and movies? Yes, the ones I liked. How else am I gonna decide whether or not to buy a game that lacks a demo?
If you go to a car dealership and ask to have a test drive they won't call the cops on you, calling you a thief. Instead, you actually get to have a feel of how it drives, and then make an informed decision.

Same thing with games, go for a spin and buckle up the credit card. Or erase the whole damn thing and torch it so it doesn't come back to haunt you in case it was horrible.

Not all pirates are the pillage and burn them type, some of us just want to find a sweet game and then show our gratitude by actually purchasing it.

cloudberry

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2009
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Because they make their money off advertising. Duh. Their games are nothing, its like a month's worth of work from a small team. If they started spending 8-9 figures to create real games, and rely solely on the money from sales to recoup their investment they would change their opinion overnight.[/citation]

I'll give you the benefit of the doubt and assume we're not talking US dollars here.

G

I pirate things that I'm unsure about. I'll use something for a few hours and if I don't like it (like the shitty mouse control in Skyrim)... gone! Glad I didn't waste $60 on something I hate.. On the other hand, I'm glad I spent the $1500 on Visual Studio Ultimate because I like the HUGE feature difference between the Express edition and the retail edition...

Its an unrestricted demo, in my opinion.

elcentral

Distinguished
Apr 19, 2010
hehe i remember i got this game on my n8 frue not to leagal terms and i did enjoy it alot, played for 2 hours before i got bored and for a mobile game its alot for me. headed ower to get it on ovi and for some reason its gotten free for my n8 cristmas give away from nokia. im still not sure howe to solve that. and btw nokia i do not forgive fucking up n8 to point of no return only cuss you gave me a few games. me and my friends will not go back to you ewer agen.

HEXiT

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2011
finaly a company that gets it... even pirates buy games that they like, and the people that dont buy but pirate were never gonna be customers in the first place.
the only people that suffer in the long run are the people who buy games with highly intrusive drm... they cant play there games when the drm servers go down while pirates are laughing at em for wasting there money...
better not to be overly protective and give your paying customers the credit they deserve rather than treating every 1 not just the pirates as potential criminals...

Well Played Rovio... at least some 1 is taking the rite approach...

blazorthon

Distinguished
Sep 24, 2010
Glad to finally see a company that realizes there is pretty much nothing that can be done to stop piracy. Even better they use a business model that can tolerate and even be benefited by pirates. Why do so few companies allow people in power to care about their customers and make money? I guarantee that those greedy companies would do even better if they did something similar.

richboyliang

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2011
See Rovio is quite pleased with themselves, they turned Angry Birds into a nationally recognized name. Almost like Obama's voice; when you hear it, you know it's him, even without seeing anything.

jezus53

Distinguished
Mar 27, 2011
They have a very good point. I would have never bought Battlefield 3 if I had never played a pirated copy of Battlefield 2. I used to never like FPS on a PC and would have never tried them if it wasn't for that. So EA, because I pirated a game to test out, you got a customer. WHAT A CONCEPT.

Hold on guys, I think there's someone at the do-

acadia11

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2010
Not only that make it easy, I use iTunes cause relatively it's easy and 2 clicks to buy, Shaalan plus iTunes is the greatet thing ever. Yes I know I could YouTube to mp3, but it's not on the go, and it's not linked to shaxam. The point make it easy and friendly and we will buy and don't try to gouge us.

G

I have to disagree. Piracy is stealing. What was described however is demoing. I've done my share op pirating/copying games in the past. Diablo turned into a full retail disc with music and movies from the soundless version that I had. Diablo 2 was played so much that I needed to buy it. Starcraft got a battlechest with manuals and game guides that I just wanted to have.

I don't condone piracy (unless you release a piece of crap like mw3 where the dev needs to wake up and smell the technology and gameplay) but I can see how a pirated product can advance sales if it is so good that you MUST own it. I know a few people however that don't buy the games they pirate. They finish the game which I see as taking it too far. It shouldn't go beyond the first 2-3 hours then you should have made up your mind on buying it or leaving it.

If you like it, buy it. If you dont, get rid of it.

Goldengoose

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2011
[citation][nom]stm1185[/nom]Because they make their money off advertising. Duh. Their games are nothing, its like a month's worth of work from a small team. If they started spending 8-9 figures to create real games, and rely solely on the money from sales to recoup their investment they would change their opinion overnight.[/citation]

Perhaps what you are talking about is an outdated business model then? I think what Rovio is trying to say is that you can't hit piracy head on like a bull because you'll lose your 'fanbase' - so why not change a business model to work with or alongside piracy through adverts.

For example, there could be a free version full of adverts and a full version with none? Just an example; i'm sure this could go much more indepth.

Status
Not open for further replies.