Solved! Pixel 2 XL reenable background processes

Oct 16, 2018
There is something on my Pixel 2 XL phone that is killing important background processes when my phone goes to sleep (screen is off and my phone is locked) that is rendering my phone completely unresponsive. It basically becomes a brick that shows the time when it stopped working on the ambient display until I hold down the power button to force restart.

As long as the screen is on the phone works perfectly fine.

Factory reset did not fix, and the issue came back on a brand new replacement device from google after setting my phone up with my email address.

The problem doesn't exist on my other android phone with the same set of apps and settings.

Solution
Well if you did the reset that keeps your stuff on the phone, that would not resolve the problem if any form of software was involved. You would need to do a full "Hard Reset" to remove any kind of software issue. I would suggest you try that. Just be sure you back up all your personal stuff (files, contacts, etc., not apps, can't back up apps) before you do it. Should that not fix it, then you need to have the phone looked at. Either by the manufacturer if under warranty, or by a local tech if not.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the phone.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer...
Well if you did the reset that keeps your stuff on the phone, that would not resolve the problem if any form of software was involved. You would need to do a full "Hard Reset" to remove any kind of software issue. I would suggest you try that. Just be sure you back up all your personal stuff (files, contacts, etc., not apps, can't back up apps) before you do it. Should that not fix it, then you need to have the phone looked at. Either by the manufacturer if under warranty, or by a local tech if not.

NOTE: Doing this will clear 'all' the data on your phone, so it is suggested you not choose this option unless you have to, or aren't worried about losing anything on the phone.

Be sure you back up any data you want to keep, to a computer or cloud account, before doing the reset.

To "Hard Reset" the phone...

1. Make sure that the phone is actually powered off.

2. Remove your SD card, if there is one in the device.

3. Press the "Power" and the "Volume Up" buttons, together, until you see the start-up logo on the screen.

4. Once you can see the logo, release the buttons and allow the device to enter the "System Recovery Mode".

5. Next use "Volume Down" button to get to the "wipe data/factory reset" option When in recovery mode the "Volume Up" and "Volume Down" buttons are how to can navigate and highlight what option you need.

6. Once you have selected the "wipe data/factory reset", press the "Power" button to select that option.

7. On the following screen, repeatedly press the "Volume Down" button until the "Yes - delete all user data" option is what is selected.

8. Then press the "Power" button to hard reset the phone.

9. If you took your SD card out in step 2, when the device is up and running again, reinsert the SD card.

Solution