Planning to buy alienware 13 but confused

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.

suyash691

Estimable
Nov 7, 2014
I am planning to buy an alienware 13 ($999). But I read the cpu specs , it is a 4210U , paired with a gtx 860m GPU. I am unsure about the performance, will the cpu create a bottleneck on the fps at 720p gaming?

Solution
Yeah your choices are very very limited.

A) go with the Alienware 13 and get possibly stonewalled by some games that need more CPU power.

B) go with the bigger 15" laptops and live with playing at lower settings (such as medium setting and forcing res to 1280x720)

C) Buy a cheap laptop, a 20" monitor, and a PS4 and call it a day.

Ultimately, I like C because you don't have to worry about how good your laptop is and just use it for notes/classes/movies/the occasional web surfing when prof rambles. AND the PS4 will probably play games for years to come and probably better than the Alienware. But thats just an option.

MasterShake1904

Estimable
Jan 7, 2015
In case anyone is browsing this topic in search of an alternative solution. Sager NP7338

$1000.00

Better CPU
13.3 inch screen
1080p
Handles Metro 2033 @ high with 35+ fps 1920 x 1080 native

Carl Li

Estimable
Jan 8, 2015
Hey
I just returned the Alienware 13, I have i5-gtx860m-1080 screen, the IPS screen is really nice, the games are good on high settings, I have played Watch dogs and Far cry 4 on high settings, as well as Advanced warfare, they run very smooth, according to performance monitor, the i5 cpu never in full throttle and the usage is all around 50% as the GPU did most of the job. So, no worry unless you want play some CPU demanding games.

Polyknikes

Distinguished
Oct 28, 2009

Why did you return it? I am thinking about getting this laptop with the i7 processor but I am concerned about the CPU power, noise, thickness, and nerdy look of the back (I need it to look semi-professional). I am considering getting the graphics amplifier so I can use one machine for on-the-go stuff and plug it into my monitor and do more serious gaming at home without the need for two machines. It's not ideal but I am not seeing a better option.