play multiple sound tracks simultaneously

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
windows 8.1
I run several audio files at the same time, such as ocean, and rain, and music. It creates a custom-tailored work environment for me when I put on my headphones.
I usually do this by opening each file in a different app, whether it be a web app, a desktop app or a windows8 metro app.
But it tends to make the computer unresponsive and my productivity apps don't always work right.
Is there a better way to do this?
I have 4 gb ram and I am running at about 80-85% memory usage.
I have a pentium dual core CPU, and I get up to around 30% usage.

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014

okay, so we're getting somewhere -- would a i3 do the trick? or an i5? what hardware is recommended?
the audio card doesn't matter, right? presently I have just a simple, on-board audio chip.

drixkarasu

Estimable
May 13, 2015
A modern i3 would be more than enough, it would also be a good idea to get 6-8GB of RAM to make the system more responsive with many things open.
The audio card only affects audio quality, but it won't affect how responsive the system is.

shmu26

Estimable
Feb 18, 2014
thanks, drixkarasu
about the ram issue: I am indeed planning on 8 gb for my next system, but a theoretical question: even if the ram fills up, doesn't windows automatically dump the cached stuff in the ram, and grant the ram to applications that need it? In other words, even if the ram seems maxed out, it really isn't, because the cached stuff gets dumped when needed. Is this true?

drixkarasu

Estimable
May 13, 2015
Yes, the system swaps memory to your hard disk when you fill the RAM, but since hard disks are quite slow compared with RAM this process slows the system a bit and makes it feel unresponsive, so it's best to have some headroom.