PLAYING LPs ON HOME THEATRE SYSTEM

G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Hi, On instructions from my wife I have rearranged our lounge room and
thrown out the old tape deck which meant there was space in the stereo
cabinet for the new Yamaha S80 home theatre system.

I was hoping the plug the turntable into the home theatre system via
one of the unused video inputs and that way throw out the old
tuner-amp. I tried but alas no sound came out.

Was I being stupid, should I have known that I need some sort of
pre-amp or something?

Thanks
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

>
>Hi, On instructions from my wife I have rearranged our lounge room and
>thrown out the old tape deck which meant there was space in the stereo
>cabinet for the new Yamaha S80 home theatre system.
>
>I was hoping the plug the turntable into the home theatre system via
>one of the unused video inputs and that way throw out the old
>tuner-amp. I tried but alas no sound came out.
>
>Was I being stupid, should I have known that I need some sort of
>pre-amp or something?
>
>Thanks
>

You need an RIAA equalized phono preamp which your old receiver provided. You
can buy them seperately also.

Plugging audio anything into a video input is not going to do anything anyway,
you need to plug the audio into an audio line input.

Richard H. Kuschel
"I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> Plugging audio anything into a video input is not going to do anything
> anyway,
> you need to plug the audio into an audio line input.

I think he wanted to connect his phono to an audio input called "Video". My
amp has an input labeled that way also. I prefer the old nomenclature "Aux
1", "Aux 2", etc.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

agird@iinet.net.au wrote:
> Hi, On instructions from my wife I have rearranged our lounge room and
> thrown out the old tape deck which meant there was space in the stereo
> cabinet for the new Yamaha S80 home theatre system.

> I was hoping the plug the turntable into the home theatre system via
> one of the unused video inputs and that way throw out the old
> tuner-amp. I tried but alas no sound came out.

> Was I being stupid, should I have known that I need some sort of
> pre-amp or something?


Not stupid, but yes, you do need a phono preamp in the path. If your
receiver doesn't have an input labelled 'phono',
then you'll have to use an outboard unit. Phono preamps have
RIAA curve compensation and are suited to the very low output
of cartridges. Such units range in price from ~$35 (for a small
in-line box you can buy at Best Buy or Circuit City) to hundreds
of dollars for 'audiophile' models.




--

-S
If you're a nut and knock on enough doors, eventually someone will open one,
look at you and say, Messiah, we have waited for your arrival.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Thanks for that people, I'll investigate the el-cheapo RIAA phone
preamps at Altronics. It seems such a waste to have all those records
and the only way of playing them to have the huge old Sansui amp and
huge old Celestion Ditton speakers.

And yes the home theatre input labelled Video 2 has three RCA plugs
yellow video and red and white audio, I was optimistically plugging
into the audio.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Replying to my own message narcissistic I know.... but it just occured
to me that perhaps I could use the outputs from the old Sansui amp that
used to go to the tape deck and input them to the home theatre system.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

remery <agird@iinet.net.au> wrote:
> Replying to my own message narcissistic I know.... but it just occured
> to me that perhaps I could use the outputs from the old Sansui amp that
> used to go to the tape deck and input them to the home theatre system.

You certainly can. Depending on the amp, you might also have "preamp out"
jacks, which are more-or-less the same.

However if that's all you're using the Sansui amp for, you'll probably still
be better off getting a small, low-powered standalone preamp. Your power
bills will be lower, at least!

Colin
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> If your
>receiver doesn't have an input labelled 'phono',
>then you'll have to use an outboard unit. Phono preamps have
>RIAA curve compensation and are suited to the very low output
>of cartridges. Such units range in price from ~$35 (for a small
>in-line box you can buy at Best Buy or Circuit City) to hundreds
>of dollars for 'audiophile' models.
>
>
>
>
>--
>
>-S

Try thousands of dollars for the audiophile units.
I saw one advertised at $10,500 the other day.
Richard H. Kuschel
"I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

> Try thousands of dollars for the audiophile units.
> I saw one advertised at $10,500 the other day.

Hmmm... For that price, it had better cure the common cold in addition to
the simple task of equalizing and amplifying a 3 mV signal into a 1 volt
signal with minimal noise and distortion.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

"Richard Kuschel" <rickpv8945@aol.com> wrote in message
news:20050104133837.14349.00002335@mb-m13.aol.com...
>> If your
>>receiver doesn't have an input labelled 'phono',
>>then you'll have to use an outboard unit. Phono preamps have
>>RIAA curve compensation and are suited to the very low output
>>of cartridges. Such units range in price from ~$35 (for a small
>>in-line box you can buy at Best Buy or Circuit City) to hundreds
>>of dollars for 'audiophile' models.
>>
>>
>>
>>
>>--
>>
>>-S
>
> Try thousands of dollars for the audiophile units.
> I saw one advertised at $10,500 the other day.
> Richard H. Kuschel
> "I canna change the law of physics."-----Scotty

Bet the innards are sealed in some opaque potting compound to hide the 50
cent op amp chip : )
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

I thought someone might suggest that. That's also why I didn't mention
that I had the PC connected to the sound system so we could play
mp3's... oh dear I just did.

Altronics have those small preamps for $22 whit 9 volt battery plus
another 20 for a power pack.

Thanks again.
 
G

Guest

Guest
Archived from groups: rec.audio.tech (More info?)

Same stature as the Celestions... hell no! The home theatre thing cost
about $1,500 and seems to sound good when it plays the special recorded
DTS DVDs like "Ëagles Hell Freezes Over". Everything else just sounds
ok.

You will pleased to hear that I've decided to leave the old amp in
place. It will play vinyl only through the Celestions so we will have
an all old-fashioned sound. Audio CDs, MP3s and DVDs can play through
the other thing. Not really space efficient unfortunately but a better
arrangement all the same.
 
Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
I Audio 2
R Audio 3
N Audio 2
MrSalty Audio 11
O Audio 2
M Audio 3
K Audio 1
E Audio 2
O Audio 14
D Audio 17
L Audio 1
T Audio 2
V Audio 2
P Audio 1
C Audio 1
S Audio 1
A Audio 1
A Audio 2
samuraimastr Audio 1
J Audio 2

ASK THE COMMUNITY