PlayStation 3 Manufacturing Costs Down 70%

Status
Not open for further replies.

scook9

Distinguished
Oct 16, 2008
I would welcome cheaper ps3's with open arms, hell, I'd get one for my dad as a blu ray player that I can play on when I want

tenor77

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I believe the cost is down for sure, but my BS meter is going off on this.

Kinda like that cereal that says "50% MORE INSIDE!! (Than a box half the size)

I think this is against the preproduction models.

cerillian

Distinguished
Jul 30, 2009
Personally I would rather have the console price stay the same and see the games become a few bucks cheaper. For me that would be a much stronger intensive to buy a PS3.

anamaniac

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2009
Can't like hell understand what makes them so expensive to produce in the first place... Maybe they should have gotten better contracts...

G

Now they can afford to add in PS2 compatibility when they get a price cut. Finally, a PS3 worth buying.

dman3k

Distinguished
Apr 28, 2009
[citation][nom]cerillian[/nom]Personally I would rather have the console price stay the same and see the games become a few bucks cheaper. For me that would be a much stronger intensive to buy a PS3.[/citation]Yes, drop game prices to $5-10 cheaper than the X360 counter parts and also drop BR movie prices too.

p00dl3_h3r0

Distinguished
May 13, 2005
For real. I don't care how much they claim improvements have been made on he price of consoles. $50 for a game is ridiculously overpriced. It's like going to radioshack and buying 2 AA batteries for $6, when they cost pennies on the dollar to make. Whatever happened to making good games that people actually want to buy to drive up your profit instead of shady ways of bleeding dry an already bleeding industry?

jerreece

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2006
I can't imagine paying $400 for a PS3. Even if they drop to $350, I still can't imagine buying one.

All I'd use it for anyhow would be Blu-Ray. So I'll just continue waiting for Blu-Ray prices to drop.

megamanx00

Distinguished
Sep 3, 2008
It's way past time for a price drop on the PS3. I still wouldn't buy one though as it's clearly lost this generation of counsel war. I'd rather spend the money to upgrade my PC ^_^.

G

I would pay the 400 if they put the backward compatibility back in and had a 120 gigabyte hard drive like the 360 has.

mlopinto2k1

Distinguished
Apr 25, 2006
Man, I don't know where half of the users who comment get their information but Jesus H Christ... Sony is NOT going to drop the prices on the CONSOLE anytime soon. They were LOSING money when they first started selling the damn thing in the first place! This whole entire time they have been losing money and now that some information has been made public about the cost to manufacture, everyone is up in arms. The unit has, say it with me, "PROPRIETARY HARDWARE" in it. THAT is what COSTS so much to produce. The damn thing is one of a kind. Sony, do what you gotta do. :eek:)

IronRyan21

Distinguished
Oct 14, 2008
[citation][nom]anamaniac[/nom]Can't like hell understand what makes them so expensive to produce in the first place... Maybe they should have gotten better contracts...[/citation]

I agree, For $840? You can build a good gaming machine for tht price and top the PS3 easily.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
[citation][nom]dman3k[/nom]Yes, drop game prices to $5-10 cheaper than the X360 counter parts and also drop BR movie prices too.[/citation]

Not happening, Blu Ray Discs are still more expensive to produce and stamp than DVDs.

pender21

Distinguished
Nov 18, 2008
Also, Why lower the price of games? We want the best incentive for developers and publishers to make games. If they cut the price, that means less revenue for the developers, so they cope by making less quality games by cutting their staff or reducing project time. Not good for the consumer in the long run.

Cut the price of the console. Games are where the money is made for Sony too. Razor and Razor blade model.

Status
Not open for further replies.