PlayStation 4, Xbox One and the Lifetime of a Game Console

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reagan_piper

Honorable
Nov 19, 2013
my neighbor's mother makes $61/hour on the computer. She has been out of work for ten months but last month her pay was $17501 just working on the computer for a few hours. take a look at the site here...
Duℬ40.ℭℴℳ

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
@giovanni86 :
Consoles are what developers PREFER.... I agree with you, but that doesn't change how the game developers deal with making games. They are in the business to make MONEY.

PC = thousands of configurations over a 3 year period.
Console = Same hardware for 10 years (The PS3 will be a low-end model for at least another 3 years... eventually becoming a $100 console like the PS2 & PS1)

Thus, a game made today will work 6 years from now... etc.

PC = Piracy is high.
Consoles = piracy is much lower.

PC = Computer novices don't usually have high-end gaming PCs. Usually depended on built-in-graphics that are NOT even up to PS3 standards, much less half the performance. Sticking in cards, memory, installing game, patching up the graphics card or game... eww ewww...
Console = any moron and stick a disk in and press PLAY on the screen.... (almost any moron)

So... while the PS3 is 7 years old... there isn't much I've seen that is better on the PC over the consoles.... because of the stagnation of the developers.

Developers looks at the numbers:
PC sales = 100,000 sold copies... is doing pretty good.
Consoles sales of same game does 1 million and those are LOW sales.

Guess who I WOULD develop for?

drwho1

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2010
Yes, I'm serious.
7 years.... (more like 6) since I bought it, is nowhere near "long enough".
Its like saying that any electronics that we use around the house "is OK to die" after a few years. That's absurd.

tomfreak

Distinguished
May 18, 2011
may be the exp i7 4930K isnt that bad at all. Time to build that rig with a ultra reliable Asus Sabertooth mobo + 7yrs warranty PSU, so this rig last 7 years. Like how Core 2 QX9650 hold up well to all previous gen console port.

belardo

Distinguished
Nov 23, 2008
DrWho.... yes, the hardware should last many many years. We have a PS2 FAT that is still rocking.

Be that as it may... its 6 years old, its out of warranty. In the 80s, the typical consoles came with a 90-day warranty... hell, same for typical home computers (C=64 / Atari / etc).

Status
Not open for further replies.