PlayStation Phone May Come in Feb 2011

Status
Not open for further replies.

tayb

Distinguished
Jan 22, 2009
I don't see how they can make this work. It would be cool if the phone dual booted the Android OS and the PSP OS (for games) but then you would have the problem of not receiving phone calls or texts while in 'PSP Mode.' Without 'PSP Mode', however, the phone is nothing more than a powerful Android phone and powerful Android phones are a dime a dozen.

liveonc

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2008
Will PSPPhone games be available & playable with other Android Smartphones? ;-) Sony doesn't like to share, does it? With so many busy cooking custom ROMs, either Sony is being "a jolly good fellow", or they're cooking something themselves...

eddieroolz

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
It would be very interesting, but they'll have to figure out several things.

1. UMD compaitbility
- PSP Go didn't take off because people didn't want to re-download the games they already owned.

2. Update Cycle
- Sony Ericsson is horrible with updates. X10, anyone?

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]It would be very interesting, but they'll have to figure out several things.1. UMD compaitbility- PSP Go didn't take off because people didn't want to re-download the games they already owned.2. Update Cycle- Sony Ericsson is horrible with updates. X10, anyone?[/citation]
I agree about the UMD support, but I doubt that will ever come back. They believe now in making customers re-purchase what they already own; as well as taking away features you paid for. As far as the firmware updates, that shouldn't be an issue(they have those down pat on the psp side ). If this thing sees the light of day it will be interesting to see if they support it regularly; that is a wide spread problem in the cell phone market. Iphones are updated regularly tho, due to those dirty jail breakers...(I am one of those too :) )

guanyu210379

Distinguished
Who cares about the UMDs if you are a jailbreaker...
Will PSP hacking with softmod method also work with PSP-Phone? Like ChickhenMod? 'Or perhaps another softmod method will available... after phone rooting of course..LOL
I don't think that Pandora box method will work with this phone...LOL.

Griffolion

Distinguished
May 28, 2009
[citation][nom]eddieroolz[/nom]It would be very interesting, but they'll have to figure out several things.1. UMD compaitbility- PSP Go didn't take off because people didn't want to re-download the games they already owned.2. Update Cycle- Sony Ericsson is horrible with updates. X10, anyone?[/citation]

I think the UMD issue in the PSP Go was a product of the fact that the concept was a little ahead of its time. As the internet becomes more integrated into these devices and also becomes faster, people will have less of a problem in downloading their games (i know i won't). However they should never make someone re-purchase a game they already own. Perhaps they could figure out allowing digital downloads of games using some sort of code that you may find on the games UMD case (or something, just an idea).

I have an X10, last SE phone i buy for a long time for the reason you gave in number 2. Android 2.1 in a world of 2.2 and soon to be 2.3? No thanks; SE either dropped the ball massively or are so arrogant as to think that their bloatware and clunky UI justified discontinuing the upgrade roadmap at 2.1 for all X10 devices.

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]guanyu210379[/nom]Who cares about the UMDs if you are a jailbreaker...Will PSP hacking with softmod method also work with PSP-Phone? Like ChickhenMod? 'Or perhaps another softmod method will available... after phone rooting of course..LOLI don't think that Pandora box method will work with this phone...LOL.[/citation]
The term jailbreak would apply to this device, since it is a phone. I have numerous umd movies and games, without the drive to copy them from to play from a memory stick most would be stuck downloading them illegally.....

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
[citation][nom]stunnedToSee[/nom]@thillntnyou brought movies on UMD........[/citation]
yea...they were like 1.99 or something lol

Status
Not open for further replies.