PLEASE Do Not Text While Driving

Page 2 - Seeking answers? Join the Tom's Guide community: where nearly two million members share solutions and discuss the latest tech.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]cp8427[/nom]I don't feel sad for these people anymore. Common sense is lacking these days.[/citation]

I wouldn't feel sorry either. The only problem is that morons cause accidents that often involve non-morons.

When someone is texting while driving and dies, who cares? That person is just stupid. It becomes sad when he rams another car for example.

It's quite simple really. Caught texting while driving? Okay, no more driving license for you. Ever.

rickl7069

Distinguished
Mar 25, 2010
As laws tend to do, this lumps all people together. When I ride with younger people, I tend to notice that they are already barely paying attention and they definitely don't need one more distraction (I would also imagine that the statistics probably show most of these accidents are by young people). There are other people that I ride with that do a fantastic job of talking or texting while keeping a good focus on what's going on around them and also have the common sense to maintain a distance from other vehicles and know to NOT be distracted when traffic gets heavy.
Personally, with the business I'm in, I have been talking on the phone while driving for about 15 years and I don't recall even once having an issue because of it. Just because I'm on the phone doesn't mean I can't keep my eyes on the road.
Of course, the ideal is zero distractions. We are about as likely to get that as world peace, people simply don't function that way.

Silmarunya

Distinguished
Nov 3, 2009
[citation][nom]rickl7069[/nom]As laws tend to do, this lumps all people together. When I ride with younger people, I tend to notice that they are already barely paying attention and they definitely don't need one more distraction (I would also imagine that the statistics probably show most of these accidents are by young people). There are other people that I ride with that do a fantastic job of talking or texting while keeping a good focus on what's going on around them and also have the common sense to maintain a distance from other vehicles and know to NOT be distracted when traffic gets heavy.Personally, with the business I'm in, I have been talking on the phone while driving for about 15 years and I don't recall even once having an issue because of it. Just because I'm on the phone doesn't mean I can't keep my eyes on the road.Of course, the ideal is zero distractions. We are about as likely to get that as world peace, people simply don't function that way.[/citation]

I agree, but even an experienced driver in a good car will be at risk when texting. Talking (hands free of course) is less of a risk, but even that should be kept to a minimum imo.

Oh, and who needs to send a text while driving? Getting a call from your boss, hospital or something like that is of course important, but a text???

tommysch

Distinguished
Sep 6, 2008
Keep on texting, we need more natural selection.[citation][nom]NoHope[/nom]@jerreeceyou had an urge to update your facebook status....... because there would be world ending consequences if you didn't ?dear lord, there is no hope for humanity.....[/citation]

We are heading toward idiocracy...

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Idiocracy

thillntn

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2010
Att needs to focus on making their network more reliable , and leave the laws in the county/states hand. After all, when was the last time you have heard smith and wesson say "please use your firearms safely, and don't rob banks". Distracted driving is a danger, but so is using a cell phone(carpal tunnel). I would rather see cautionary statements on the overuse of these devices than something they have no control over.as forrest said "stupid is as stupid does"

bildo123

Distinguished
Feb 6, 2007
[citation][nom]cp8427[/nom]I don't feel sad for these people anymore. Common sense is lacking these days.[/citation]

Although this is oh so amazingly true (Darwinism), in all reality, who cares what happens to the texter. It's everyone else that could be possibly affected by said texter that matters more.

quickwind

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2009
Any type of distraction is bad, however, texting and driving is equivalent to drinking and driving. Hand free headsets don't help either it's the act as a whole not how you do it.

flugelhorn

Distinguished
Oct 22, 2009
Hah! Joke is on you! I would not even know about this article if I were not reading it while driving. So now what, Mr. MAN! I would not know I should not do it except for the fact that I did it while I was doing it! Now I'm going to double my jeopardy and text myself while driving and eating a ham sandwich.

JD13

Distinguished
Mar 24, 2009
What's even worse; I've seen people actually reading books while driving...at night no less!
These people deserve to loose their license or give up their cell phone.

aaron88_7

Distinguished
Oct 4, 2010
[citation][nom]quickwind[/nom]Any type of distraction is bad, however, texting and driving is equivalent to drinking and driving. Hand free headsets don't help either it's the act as a whole not how you do it.[/citation]
Then you should make sure you are both drunk and texting while driving, it counters each other out. Try it sometime

cookoy

Distinguished
Aug 3, 2009
so sad lives were lost for such trivial text messages. some things can just wait. some things can just be ignored like beep or ring tones while driving. even walking out on the street.

LordConrad

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2007
I did some stupid things as a teenager (haven't we all), but there is no way I would have dialed or texted on a phone while driving.

The general population seems to get more stupid every year.

Status
Not open for further replies.