Please Help Me Connect Set Top DVD Recorder to TV

prattj

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
Hello,

I have the items below and can't correctly connect them so that I can record with the DVD recorder. I was able to get the TV and DVR to work and the DVD would play, but I couldn't get the DVD recorder to record. Any help would be very much appreciated.

* Direct TV with an SWM8 Multiswitch and an HR44-500 Satellite Receiver
(manual: https://support.directv.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/3979/~/directv-hr34%2Fhr44-receiver-(genie))
(Available connections: component out, audio/video out, digital audio out, HDMI out)

* LG TV model LG60LB6100-UG
(manual: http://www.lg.com/us/support-product/lg-60LB6100#manuals)
(Available connections: component in, PC audio in, antenna/cable in, optical digital audio out, HDMI (x3), USB (x3))

* Panasonic Set Top DVD Recorder model DMR-ES15
(manual: http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPERMANPDF/DMRES15-MULTI.pdf)
(Rear Available connections: RF in, RF out, component out, audio/video in, audio/video out, S video in, S video out, optical digital audio out)
(FrontAvailable connections: S video in, audio/video in)

Thank you very much in advance!

Jeff

Solution
Connect the sat receiver to the TV with HDMI.
Connect the DVD-R to the TV with component video + audio.
Connect the composite video out + audio out of the sat box to the same kind of inputs on the DVR. Select that as the source of recording on the DVR. (These must remain active on the sat receiver when using the HDMI output). If they don't you would have to use an HDMI distribution amp with 1 in 2 out to split the HDMI output and connect one output to the TV and the other to an HDMI to composite video + audio converter. You need active devices, cables will not work.
Connect the sat receiver to the TV with HDMI.
Connect the DVD-R to the TV with component video + audio.
Connect the composite video out + audio out of the sat box to the same kind of inputs on the DVR. Select that as the source of recording on the DVR. (These must remain active on the sat receiver when using the HDMI output). If they don't you would have to use an HDMI distribution amp with 1 in 2 out to split the HDMI output and connect one output to the TV and the other to an HDMI to composite video + audio converter. You need active devices, cables will not work.

Solution

prattj

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
Americanaudiophile - thank you very much. I assume by "DVR" you must mean DVD-R, correct? Since I'll be using composites to hook up the satellite (and DVR) to the DVD-R, will I lose quality when recording a high def program from my DVR to a DVD on the DVD-R?

prattj

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015
Thank you again Americanaudiophile. I tried your configuration and it worked. I REALLY appreciate your help. I'm still curious about my HD recording question though and if there is an alternative way of connecting these to allow me to record in higher quality. Just curious.

prattj

Estimable
Dec 12, 2015

Americanaudiophile - thank you very much. I assume by "DVR" you must mean DVD-R, correct? Since I'll be using composites to hook up the satellite (and DVR) to the DVD-R, will I lose quality when recording a high def program from my DVR to a DVD on the DVD-R?